INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bhuvanesh

Reply with quote  #1 
If you mean being able to recognize whether what is being played is Bhairavi, I suggest simply listening to a bunch of recordings. Among other things, this will enable you to differentiate between Bhairavi and the related ragas Bilaskhani Todi and Komal Rishabh Asavari, which use the same (all-komal) notes but are nevertheless quite different. You're unlikely to find Bhairavi khyals, and Bhairavi seems rare in dhrupad as well, but there are several instrumental performances. Here are a couple of good examples.

Nikhil Banerjee: http://www.mediafire.com/?iac4a93nicp708u
Vilayat Khan: http://www.mediafire.com/?6eh295ibw0yzu8x
ragamala

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bhuvanesh"
You're unlikely to find Bhairavi khyals,
Here's one courtesy of siddhant by Ajoy Chakrabarty at DLMC 2011
http://www.mediafire.com/?m7075b3qdx0hz

I'm not sure he didn't also sing Bhairavi in 2012, I didn't hear that, but I did find the 2011 performance interesting.

On the subject of unusual ragas for long khyal, AC also sang a Kafi this year at Saptak
badalandabad

Reply with quote  #3 
Dinkar Kaikini sings a dadra followed by a drut khayal in Bhairavi - http://musicindiaonline.com/album/24-Classical_Hindustani_Vocal/4636-Live_In_Concert/ - Tracks 4 and 5.

Rasoolan Bai brandishes a Dadra:

Kesarbai Kerkar inquires wistfully of aliens, 'Jaat Kahan Ho...', as they flee the approaching Voyager, tails between legs -

Faiyaz Khan -

So much for feeding the troll.
Bhuvanesh

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"
Quote:
You're unlikely to find Bhairavi khyals,
Here's one courtesy of siddhant by Ajoy Chakrabarty at DLMC 2011
http://www.mediafire.com/?m7075b3qdx0hz

I'm not sure he didn't also sing Bhairavi in 2012, I didn't hear that, but I did find the 2011 performance interesting.

On the subject of unusual ragas for long khyal, AC also sang a Kafi this year at Saptak
I know AC sang a full khyal in Khamaj, because my teacher mocked him for it I didn't know about Bhairavi and Kafi (*Kafi Kanada*, on the other hand, works well for vilambit khyals). Thanks for the link; I'll listen to it sometime.
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Bhairavi seems rare in dhrupad as well
Listen to Ud. Bahauddin Dagar Live at Darbar Festival, Raag Bhairavi. It is on spotify. Here is a short example:

Reply with quote  #6 

What does jaat mean here?

Reply with quote  #7 
If anyone's interested in CD performances by Ajoy Chakrabarty of the ragas mentioned, -

I find there were two CDs by Ajoy Chakrabarty issued in 2007 by Sagarika, Khyal in Kafi and Khyal in Bhairavi,

Details I have are -
Kafi- Sagarika S300352
1 Khyal in Kafi - Jaago mana laago - Vilambit Jhumra;
Naataa banaaun rishtaa bnaaun - Madhyalaya Jhaptaal;
Jaa re jaa re Koyeliaa - Drut Teentaal;
2 Thumri - Jabse Shyam Sidhare.
With: Harmonium Pt Tulsidas Borkar, Tabla Sri Yogesh Samsi

Bhairavi - Sagarika S300122
1. Bhairavi - Karam Karo More Sain (Bilambit Ektaal) / 29:50
Jaaun Main To Pe Balihaar (Drut Teentaal) /
Guruhi Gun Gun Guru (Drut Teentaal) 29:20
2. Thumri - Kaisee Bajayee Re Shyam 13:07
With: Harmonium - Tulsidas Borkar, Tabla Yogesh Samsi, Tanpura - Anal Chatterjee, Brojo Mukherjee, Bridhan Mitra

------------------------

A Khamaj was released on CD in 1996, India Archives
IAM CD 1016 with Sultan Khan Sarangi, Samar Saha tabla
1. Raga Khamaj: Vilambit Bandish In Ektal - 33:25
2. Raga Khamaj: Madhya Bandish In Jhaptal - 16:03
3. Raga Khamaj: Drut Bandish In Teental - 10:36
4. Raga Khamaj: Drut Bandish In Teental - 10:27?
badalandabad

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan

"Jaat(a) kahaan ho" here means "Where are you going?" In more poetic terms, perhaps, "Whither goest thou?" No wonder the NASA linguists recommended this piece, even though its melodic beauty and significance to HCM probably went flying above their heads. One of the most novel and beautiful Bhairavis out there, I think.

Another striking Bhairavi dadra by the evergreen Jagdish Prasad -

Panditji passed away last year in sad circumstances, thanks largely to the power games and politics of Ajoy C and co., who don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

T
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "badalandabad"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan

"Jaat(a) kahaan ho" here means "Where are you going?" In more poetic terms, perhaps, "Whither goest thou?" No wonder the NASA linguists recommended this piece, even though its melodic beauty and significance to HCM probably went flying above their heads. One of the most novel and beautiful Bhairavis out there, I think.

Wonderful! Can I trouble you for the whole text of this bandish? I can't make out the words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "badalandabad"
Another striking Bhairavi dadra by the evergreen Jagdish Prasad -

Panditji passed away last year in sad circumstances, thanks largely to the power games and politics of Ajoy C and co., who don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath.

T
Agreed wholeheartedly. He was a brilliant musician

Reply with quote  #10 
Wow , I
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.