INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
barend

Reply with quote  #16 
I really like Rickenbacker basses. I have to admit I don't like the sitar neck on it...how did you name it: the Sitarbacker?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #17 
Luv doze Rics! ! ! My first was a '71 with the checker binding and all the good stuff. Even had a Chris Squire model - also #71 of 1,000. The blonde V63 reissue is the best of the lot and was the model for this monstrosity , the " Rikhi-Rambacker". It was a surprising success, being played with a very "green" jazz-rock band for about a year. I suppose I could build something similar again but it would have to wait until all the logistic nightmares are taken care of. Try me around the end of next year. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #18 
There has never been a better electric bass for rock than the Rickenbacker 4001 Stereo Model.
Those basses have the greatest, punchiest, hard rockin, sound ever.
Just listen to those old YES albums.
NOW THAT IS A BASS.
I wish I had one. Plus they are great to play.
They have a comfortable neck and when you plug it in and it starts to growl you cant help but love them.
When I was 13 I used to plug in my brother's Rickenbacker and play along to "The Yes Album".
God that was fun. It almost made me become a Bass player rather than a guitarist, but then I bought my first Les Paul.... the rest is history.
barend

Reply with quote  #19 
I know it is a little bit off topic. But I am looking for a Rickenbacker 4003. They are supposed to be a bit more stable than the 4001 model.
I think the sound is same. Not sure though.
Also I am not sure if I want the mono or stereo version.

Any suggestions?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #20 
The 4003 is more stable than the 4001. It allows for Roto Sound round wound strings. There is also some kind of boost circuit on the bridge pick up. Seems kinda gimmicky to me but I suppose it meets market demand for more of a biting sound. If you can get a 4003 and fit it with a toaster neck pickup, you will have the old vintage sound. Less windings or something like that. The horseshoe pickup is a dream. Not a dead spot anywhere across the neck. I've had stereo jacks in most of the Rics that I've owned. Never had an occasion to use, however. No need! Do check the quality of fit and finish. I've seen trouble spots even at the NAMM show demo pieces. Peg heads with low grade walnut and wavey surface. Also, a few frets were not filed smooth at the ends. Little stuff like that. Happy shopping !!

Reply with quote  #21 
happy shopping and happy saving! these beast are expensive...I am trying to get an owned one...thanks for the tips
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #22 
I've owned 2 Ricks (4001's); One was ok, but the other was a stunner. I could live all my Geddy Lee & Joey Demaio-fantasies. I even installed a Kahler-tremolo on it. Worth every penny. Not really an allround machine, but for rock it's great!!

p.s. the finish sucked: after 2 years of playing all the paint on the neck was gone, not to mention the back of the instrument.
Olemunati

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "s2art-3"
I’m more interested in getting a sitar sound in a rock environment… Which is LOUD. I do realize that the sitar is not really suited for this. Having played vibraphone is a band with two electric guitars, bass, drums, violin and organ, I know what it takes to get over the cacophony of a band… I do realize that I’m going to have to make some changes to the instrument, like steel strings versus brass and the placement of the pick ups / electronics…

I have a feeling that to get what I want… I’m going to need some power tools. Ideally, it would be great to have separate pick ups for the sympathetic strings and the main stings. And the tumba would be cut off completely…

This monstrosity is pretty close is to what I had in mind (except for the two separate pick ups).

http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/e-sitar1.jpg

Cheers.
Aaahh! This is so cooool! Plug in a large mesa rig and shred to couble bass drums and a big tembura bass

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.