INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cream_cheese

Reply with quote  #1 
http://www.questz.com/products/q-rr-cj-001.qw

Is this just a compilation of already released recordings ? Will someone kindly clarify ? From looking at the three jugalbandis with Pt. Shamta Prasad, looks like they are. A confirmation/clarification would be very useful.

Warm regards,

CC
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Your Yaman is the one with just the short teentaal gat on it. It took me ages to find the 'pre' parts of that performance but I eventually did. It' IS a lovely gat but is much better with the first bit(s) before it.

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Axel
I think this is it from my mediafire files. VK & BK Yaman Alap.

http://www.mediafire.com/?dtidulmzate

Nick
ragamala

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Nick.

What you've posted seems to be the alap on the CD
HMV/RPG CDNF 150242
The gat to this is just over 28 minutes, longer than the Questz....
Also, although the date of recording I don't know, the CD was issued 1999, and I don't think this would be from as long ago as the seventies, as Questz claim.

BTW
there is also a
Ref double LP - PSLP 3037/38 Live at the Nehru Centre, Bombay rel 1989
which according to the cover has one side disk 1 alap side 2 gat

However there is some confusion as there is under this CD compilation name a 28 minute gat which seems to be the same as the CDNF 15042. So I suspect the LP is the same perf.

EDIT remove ref to another version ops:

However, I'm not sure we've got any nearer identifying the gat on the Questz CD.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
R
So is it not the correct alap then?

Nick
ragamala

Reply with quote  #6 
I think probably not - UNLESS the Questz yaman gat is an abbreviated version of the same gat. If you want I can post the gat to which your alap corresponds.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #7 
here it is anyway

http://www.mediafire.com/?6itqes3pjw31aie
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #8 
RM - have you ever considered putting a compilation together?
With your knowledge of the musical library and your impeccable
musical taste I would think something like this would be a triumph.

You could call it "Greatest Hits of ICM" or "Pre-Sleep Cocktails"......
All spoofing aside I think you should if you can find the time.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "fossesitar"
RM - have you ever considered putting a compilation together?
With your knowledge of the musical library and your impeccable
musical taste I would think something like this would be a triumph.

You could call it "Greatest Hits of ICM" or "Pre-Sleep Cocktails"......
All spoofing aside I think you should if you can find the time.
Hi G

I was maybe frustrated in any ambition to be able to play ICM competently, so I take a back seat in just trying to make some contribution, in particular, in terms of archiving available Nikhil Banerjee material. To a lesser extent if I have any input on UVK or Ali AK, or sarangi recordings, whatever, I try and share what I know. I take the view that knowledge and cataloguing will remain important in the future. But if people share recordings with me under condition I try and keep to those conditions, as well as respecting the rights of the recording industry - to an extent :wink:

With the spread of internet there is an incredible repertoire out there, to be scrounged, pirated or whatever. Or enjoyed, depending on your point of view.

I have more recorded music than I could ever listen during the rest of my life. I have just stopped doing that, accumulating it indiscriminately, to be honest.

The important thing for me now is to go out there and appreciate live music. support the living, not the dead, support live ICM wherever and whenever I can.
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #10 
You are giving tremendous support to the living ICM practitioneers by bringing these absolute gems from the past to the table, that is for sure. It has meant a lot to me personally, especially the 2 Piloo you found - Ali Akbar/Chatur Lal and of course the recording that hooked me on sitar in the first place UVK/Shanta Prasad.

A very frail and almost transparent Rais Khan gave me the impetus to begin my practice again - oops, riyazz. He asked me if I had been practicing, when I answered in the negative, he looked at me intently "you must, he gave you something very valuable". I am working away in the fields again, progress is noticable, I am almost back to where I was in India but progress is also so very slow. The recent question about jhala got me to thinking - I practiced jhala very intensively for over two years and I am NOT satisfied, never was, with my jhala. This is from a guy who always had quick results on many musical instruments = violin, guitar, Oud.....

There are 3 main areas of EXTREME difficulty on sitar: scales/arpeggios (who ever HEARD of playing scales up and down ONE STRING??), meend (fiendishly difficult to execute with pitch precision, MUCH more diffcult than the unfretted violin) and jhala etc (just ridiculous).

It is SUCH a mountain to climb and when one hears the instrument played as in the recent "YAMANI" post it just makes you want to put the sitar down and never attempt to play another note. But let Rais Khan's words be an inspiration to you - to all of us - to continue practicing because you just never what can tell what may occur in future lifetimes. I encourage you to comb your inventory and put together a "best of".
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #11 
R
Thanks Alan.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.