INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Stephen David

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Again!

I read the info on Jawari on this website, and its very interesting. It appears to refer to how the bridges are shaped and sound.

However, when I look at various sitars for sale online, they frequently mention "open/closed" jawari or "half open/closed" jawari.

What does this mean? How does it effect the sound and/or the playing? Is one better than the others for a specific style of playing?

Also, assuming one is not a professional/expert but may be playing the sitar moderately to heavily (I tend to be passionate and obsessive about learning new things), how frequently does this need to be fixed/adjusted? (djovari?)

That is a concern for me, since I can't imagine wanting to try this myself, and there are no sitar luthiers nearby. So I suspect one would need to ship the sitar back and forth to someone to have this done. (Yoiks! My knees just got all-a-trembly thinking about that)

Thanks!
Stephen
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #2 
Think about fitting the sitar with a delrin (synthetic material) bridge, a la Tony Karasek (Lars offers something similar, too). The sound is comparable such that I do not miss my original bone bridge. Also, according to testimonies, the bridge can undergo heavy playing for years and keep its shape. I've only had mine for a few months, but other than a light polish over where the string has vibrated, there is not a scratch on it, nor any change in sound. So, if you were to get one of these bad boys, seems like all you would need to do is get it set up properly once and then be golden for a long time.

Cheers,
Tomek
Stephen David

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Tomek!

I will discuss the synthetic bridges further with Lars/Tony once I know which Sitar I will buy.

Tx
Stephen
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #4 
Closed Jawari = No buzz, Clear sound, Vilayat Khan Style.
Open Jawari = Buzzy sound, Ravi Shankar Style.
Half Open/Closed = Less buzz than Open Jawari, Clean sound but with some buzz. Nikhil Banerjee style.

I have my sitars set to Half Open/Closed. (Nikhil Banerjee)
I like to have a little buzz in my tone, but I get it dialed back until it is fairly clean sound with just a hint of buzz to fill out the sound.

Here is an article about Jawari.
Gives a good explanation.
http://www.buckinghammusic.com/sitar/sittut/jaw.html

By the way, where are you from?
Someone here might know someone who can do Jawari near you. (Depending on where you live).
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
Greetings, Stephen David. I just Messaged you.

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi cwroyds!

I thought that I had responded earlier, but I don't see it posted.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation regarding open/closed jawari.

I am in Atlanta. Tony sent me an email saying he is 5 hours away, so that is a comfort just knowing I won't have to ship it via FEDEX/UPS.

Stephen
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.