INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello I was told that if a Daya is tuned for B/C lets say it can not be re-tuned for G? Is this correct? please excuse my ignorance...

Also anyone know a really great instructor in RichmondHill/Markham area (Toronto) Thanks!
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chlywly"
Hello I was told that if a Daya is tuned for B/C lets say it can not be re-tuned for G? Is this correct? please excuse my ignorance...

Also anyone know a really great instructor in RichmondHill/Markham area (Toronto) Thanks!
Good question. IMO The maximum range, give or take a quarter step or so, for a 'B' to 'C' puri (tabla head) would probably be from 'A' to 'D'. These are relative relationships and much depends on the quality of the materials and the timbre and quality of tuning one is willing to accept. To answer your question specifically: lowering a head made for 'C' tuning down to a low 'G' would not cause any damage but it's doubtful that the resonance, if any, would be sustained. There is a very high probability that the head would be destroyed if the attempt were to raise the tuning to a high 'G'.

A.

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi;
Please check your PM for instructor information.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.