INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
chris

Reply with quote  #1 
When going from Na to the "chick" sound, how do you plant your middle finger fast enough and without taking an extra beat?
rapture

Reply with quote  #2 
best to ask your teacher.

-r
chris

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rapture"
best to ask your teacher.

-r
No teacher lives in my city.
RevolvingSound

Reply with quote  #4 
practice slowly and then speed up??? i dont know how to describe it
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "chris"
When going from Na to the "chick" sound, how do you plant your middle finger fast enough and without taking an extra beat?
Chris,
What exactly are you trying to play? Give us the complete bol or composition. BTW - where did you learn "the "chick sound"??

A.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aanaddha"
Chris,
What exactly are you trying to play? Give us the complete bol or composition. BTW - where did you learn "the "chick sound"??

A.
I mean when you embellish Na/Ta by planting your middle finger on the syahi and the striking with the index finger like usual. It's on here: http://web.mit.edu/cjoye/www/music/tabla/

Should my middle finger be coming down to rest at the same time as I strike with my index? I find this important because the same thing must happen when doing other sequences of bols like Te Te Na, because your ring and little finger must be down for Na.

Maybe I'm just over thinking this...
RevolvingSound

Reply with quote  #7 
first striek the middle on the syahi then the index two parts
alien

Reply with quote  #8 
Chris,

I call it Tak, sometimes Tik.
I know about two ways of executing it.

In the first version, finger 2 is already on the skin when you strike with finger 1. Consider "dha tit ge tak ghe na". At "tit", I hit with f2 and just leave it there. Then comes ge, and when coming to tak, I snap with f1 on the kinar, skin already muted by f2.

The other version is to do it at the same time. Yes, it's hard. I think, f2 should not produce an audible sound. I solve it by starting my f2 from 3-5 mms above only, from pretty close, so it doesn't get the impuse to hit, just to touch.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.