INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
zachbram

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello!
I had 3 diffrent "teachers" under my 1 and half year playing sitar, one have said one thing and one the other. My question is about the thumbs position, if it the "tip" should be pointing out, or pressing the neck like :

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/8140/dscn1156k.jpg

or

http://img547.imageshack.us/img547/2740/dscn1157o.jpg

I want to know this so I can go on with my life

Best wishes.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
"...I had 3 diffrent "teachers" under my 1 and half year playing sitar, one have said one thing and one the other......"

What did the 3rd one tell you?

But seriously, I'll give you my take on it. Where is my (your) thumb while doing a two-fingered meend? Why alter that position for single notes, up and down the dand?

And, ....what works for you? Does pain play a role in either position? How do the notes sound? Does one or the other deter you from moving with speed or grace from note to note?

I've noticed that some "instructions" say to "do it this way", then the ones who say that themselves, do deviate.... like "don't you dare play the note with the third finger"....and there they are, playing as merrily as you please, with the third finger.

So, I say, unless you see The Sitar Police, do what ever makes you feel good and works for you.
:roll:

Reply with quote  #3 
In general I think the first way (with thumb pointing out) is better because there is a lesser tendency for you thumb to get caught up in the fret ties, and thus slow you down moving up and down the neck. The thumb should really be making minimal contact with the neck.

The only time my teacher has told me to place the pad of my thumb on the neck, as you have done in the second picture, is when pulling long meends during alap. In that case I find that it helps anchor my hand and ensures that I am pulling with my fingers, rather than my hand. I am sure everyone has differing opinions on this bit, though. I am fairly certain, however, that what I said at the top is pretty standard.

Hope it helps!
vbnautilus

Reply with quote  #4 
I think this one is in the category of "figure out what works best for you".
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
zachbram

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks everybody.

Ofc I can figure out which one now feels the easiest and also most comfertable to play.
But I havent been playing sitar for 5-10 years, I do not know which position works the best in the long run, thats why I ask.

They both have there ups and downs, the one having the thumb point out can feel somewhat strang sometimes and also give out a little pain, maybe that just strain.

The other one do sometime get cut up in some of the fretsband.

Both feels good in the meend, but I havent gotten to some of the crazy things some of you pull off!

Best wishes.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.