INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi

This is a very, very rookie question - can anyone help?

I'm interested in how music conveys emotion. In a western 8 octave scale we get a sad chord by going into a minor key - dropping the 3rd note by half a tone

Is there something like this with an Indian scale or is it done differently?

many thanks,
jd.
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello JD, Good question. The theory of conveying emotion through sound vibration in Classical Indian Music is called naav raas. The emotional content of individual ragas is transmitted from teacher to student by demonstration and is not "systemized" in the way that you refer too. Although the concept you mention is widely accepted in western music the subtleties of nuance and microtonality in Indian Music would elude a fixed systemization. The tradition of the Gharana, the season, and time of day all also combine to color the emotion of a raga and take years to develop fully in the student. There are also aspects of prana yoga and mudras that play a roll in properly conveying the "life" of a raga which in Indian music theory are considered to be seperate, conscious entitys.
To get a sense of this google ragmala or raagmela etc to view the pictoral depictions of the various ragas usually containing a brief text with the season colors and emotions attributed to them.
Heres a article I find useful in discussing the theory of Classical Indian Music its a pdf download about 69 pages but well worth a look.
http://www.awgp.org/english/books/music.pdf

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Abdul

Thank you for your fascinating reply. I will certainly check out the sites you mentioned. It seems that conveying emotion in a raag is very complex and subtle.

The thinking behind my query was that the western experience is that 'lower' is associated with being sad - being 'down' or 'low' - hence dropping a semi-tone seems to be a sad sound but from what you say in indian music this is done differently. I think that how we convey emotion musically is very interesting so thank you again for sharing your understanding.

JD
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "AbdulLatif"
Heres a article I find useful in discussing the theory of Classical Indian Music its a pdf download about 69 pages but well worth a look.
http://www.awgp.org/english/books/music.pdf
Dear Mr. Latif,

I'm curious, how do you find this 'information' "useful"?
In "discussions" with whom?

Seriously,
Bobu
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.