INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 9     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   Next   »
taal

Reply with quote  #61 
Tabla made from “Naturally dead animal skin”-to-“Vegetarians and vegans”-to-“Undiscovered beef/meat locations in Delhi”-to-“Travelling experiences of foreigners in India”-to-“How evil Indian society is”-to-“How India is looted by British”-to-……….may be I have missed something.
Carry on brothers, it is so fun to see all this…..looks like some of us have finally found the place to vomit. But make it fast…..else someone (I hope not David) shuts down this thread (I hope not the forum).
Even if forum shuts down, don’t worry……we can go to Sitar forum to put blame on who started this……..
Here is my request: Let’s not forget that this forum may be the best source available for Tabla knowledge/experience sharing on Net, and that too being started and supported by an erudite like David……..and let’s honour it.
Of course this is just my request….anyone is free to carry on the game of posting and re-posting.

Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #62 
"I have seen the face of God...":

http://www.americanrhetoric.com/mp3clips/newmoviespeeches/moviespeechnetwork4.mp3

Reply with quote  #63 
In resopnse to the origional question:
You never have to sacrifice your beliefs or desires, to learn etc., because they are a part of your mind that you can choose to keep as long as you wish.

The sacrifices and contributions that were made to provide the tabla are the gateway to the knowledge of the instrument and they each should be seen as such. Within the tabla are the obvious: the tree that provided the wood, the animal that provided the hide, the minerals of the nickle, copper, or clay. But within the tabla is also the water, sun, soil, and fauna that nourished the tree and animal. They also hold the passion, experience, and skill of the maker that passed through multiple generations into his hands and mind; as well as the nourishment that provided the life to sustain his body and mind. But then we cannot overlook the history and life of the instrument, nor its roll in the culture of society.
Without any one of these elements, the tabla would cease to exist.
This can be said about any given thing, but for the sake of the topic, tabla encompass the whole earth within. And each contribution should be seen as a gift, because in essence, life is all about giving. I've always thought of life as being kind of like braided hair - going back and forth; back and forth...
I believe that through realizing and being mindful of the interconnectedness of of all life and circumstance, being thankful for whats given and provided, and through paying due respects to those who have sacrificed, you can hold true to your own life practices and still embark upon the journey of learning the tabla.
best of luck in whatever you decide

Reply with quote  #64 
Aanadha

Glad you clarified your stance on bigotry. :wink: I agree about being able to criticize governments etc

Unfortunately your cynicism clouds your better judgement sometimes.

Pepsi! MacDonalds! Starbucks!!!!!
Now you ARE being silly

It's interesting to see/hear a separatist in a 'foreign' land. :wink:

Jaan
Believe me It's not as easy to get out of the E U as you think.

That's rich from an 'Aussie'

We, certainly in the UK, know how difficult it is in trying to move to Australia with the points system, having a job ready, having a certain amount of cash behind you, having friends/family already there to receive you. Please tell me if these 'policies' have changed recently.

Did you hear about a 'foreigner' who was eating an apple got from 'outside' Australia when they arrived at an Aussie airport. They were fined a fortune in case the seeds disrupted Aussie flora/fauna?

The French are the same with their very own insular attitude in such topics as asylum seekers etc.

Nobody at all is exempt from exploiting others in this world in the past or, most certainly, with recently foreign policies that much I agree with.
But realising this can all have a backlash might stop some, at least for selfish reasons.

Annakai
Excellent points bringing us back to the original post.

Nick
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #65 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy

Jaan

That's rich from an 'Aussie'

We, certainly in the UK, know how difficult it is in trying to move to Australia with the points system, having a job ready, having a certain amount of cash behind you, having friends/family already there to receive you. Please tell me if these 'policies' have changed recently.

Did you hear about a 'foreigner' who was eating an apple got from 'outside' Australia when they arrived at an Aussie airport. They were fined a fortune in case the seeds disrupted Aussie flora/fauna?

Nick

If you can't beat them ( the EU) then join them. Go and steal the jobs that the Poles vacated back home when they left for Britain, afterall thats what all this EC thing is about, freedom of movement.

I never excluded Australia from those pan-anglo sentiments. After all is said and done, 60% of the yearly 200 000 immigration comes from none other than good old Great Britain, New Zealand, while a few hundred geniune asylum seekers are held captive in maximum security camps for 4-5 year periods withh out much hope of cases being 'ratified', despite Australia being signator to all UN treaties on refugees. Man if the Chinese didn't have money, I wouldnt be suprised if the 'White Australia' policy reared its ugly head again. At the least the 'old' school Brits in the 'old' country still have an inkling of how they behaved during the age of 'empire', so they don't turn away refugees if they arrive at their limestone shores.

as to the apple, this is a common sense agricultural policy in countries isolated geaographically who rely heavily on this sector. One little crappy bug , as has happened in the past, can ruin a years harvest. Even internally we have to dump fresh produce in the trash before crossing into agricultural areas. Btw peple are given plenty of warning when flying in, customs can't be blamed for fining if Jon Doe from Chicago and his 170lb. wife don't take the time to read their dissembarkation cards. :roll:

Reply with quote  #66 
By Shri Annaddha's narrow definition every anthropologist who ever declared any aspect of another culture to be negative, was a bigot.

Now JK's description of a typical Chicagoite as an ignorant overweight, kilbasa gourging, widescreen football watcing, beer guzzling Polack oaf; Now that my friends is bigotry. (In Duff Man voice) Oh yeah! Please pardon paraphrasing.

Dev
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #67 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bollywood
By Shri Annaddha's narrow definition every anthropologist who ever declared any aspect of another culture to be negative, was a bigot.

Now JK's description of a typical Chicagoite as an ignorant overweight, kilbasa gourging, widescreen football watcing, beer guzzling Polack oafs; Now that my friends is bigotry. (In Duff Man voice) Oh yeah! Please pardon paraphrasing.

Dev
I am glad you found the irony in my statement amusing!

Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Dev

To be certain, every bigot also thinks of himself as something of an anthropologist .

- The Nazi party uses current anthropological theories (as does the Klu Klux Klan) to justify their policies of ethnic cleansing.
- Less than 100 years ago the art and music of India was regarded by most anthropologists to be crude and uncivilized.
- Most anthropologists today would regard the eating of animal flesh as social norm.

Not every certified anthropologist is a bigot but as a group they do tend to under-estimate the past and disregard the present.

A.

Reply with quote  #69 
Even if you are not putting Margaret Mead in bed with Adolph Hitler, that is quite an assumptive leap. I do not know much about Nazis but the worst you can say about anthropologists is a lot of them are academically detached, but bigoted? :? How many anthropologists have you actually met, that you can know their innermost motivations?
Dev
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #70 
Quote:
Even if you are not putting Margaret Mead in bed with Adolph Hitler,
Dev
???? Oh Please, :roll:
I never even suggested anthropologists were bigots - you did. Talk about jumping to conclusions! :? The worst I said about anthropologists is "that as a group they do tend to under-estimate the past and disregard the present." (The fact that until recently anthropologists were nearly all white-male Caucasians should give you a clue and, yes, Margaret Mead was an exceptional author, and pioneer in her field of study, but even her work has it's share of skeptics amongst many anthropologists and social scientists.) Oh, and by the way, I've been working with anthropologists in the same building for twenty years. What's your relationship and how do you know their innermost motivations??

A.

btw, MM and AH did share a certain fascination with the sexual proclivities of pre-pubescent children and teenagers.

Reply with quote  #71 
Your own words; "not every certified anthropologist is a bigot" indicates that some if not many are. I said: "not" putting them in bed together. Not, as in the negative. A janitor might toil for decades in the halls of a hospital, but I wouldn't give 50 paise for his insights into the inner workings of brain surgeons. :wink:
Dev
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #72 
Brain surgeons brains work just about the same, not much different, as anyone else's. :wink:

Next?

A.

Reply with quote  #73 
Friend Jaan

Good points told in a non-aggressive way. Thanks. Please pass style on to Bill :wink:

We pay the EU folks about 4 times what they get an hour in their own countries. I was told this from a Lithuanian guy I was working with for a while. I think that says it all. Who can blame them :wink:

Bill
<- Less than 100 years ago the art and music of India was regarded by most anthropologists to be crude and uncivilized.>
Who were these clowns??????

Is an anthropologist one who observes or one who, possibly erroneously, deduces from their own experience however limited from what they have 'seen'?

Nick
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #74 
I tend to agree somewhat with Aanaddha, regarding the view early westerners had toward Indian Music. Many christian missionaries actually tried to ban classical music because it was associated with Tawaiffs and courtesans. Here is a quote of the observations of John Burnell ca 1712:
Quote:
...a resident of calcutta paid us a visit in the aforesaid willock and brought with him his musick consisting of a Georgian violin, two small kettle drums and the like number of hautboys with which he entertained us….To the violin the drums were added in concert assisted with the voice of the musicians whose ill tun'd notes and imperfect cadence made most lamentable discord..
This is a great work by Joep Bor about sarangi.

http://sarangi.info/sarangi/text/sarangi.pdf

Reply with quote  #75 
Speaking of anthropologists of yesteryear in this context is like attributing the ethical standards of the Spanish inquistion to contemporary Christians.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.