INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 9      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   Next   »
Chaz

Reply with quote  #16 
I heard a rumor that remo is working on a synthetic tabla. The problem that I see isn't the skin itself, but the syahi. Will they create an alternative for that as well? I don't see any alternative!
Greg

Reply with quote  #17 
Hi all

I would agree big time....let's all lobby Remo for a synthetic tabla...just think no more talc, no more dead heads (as it were!)no more splits...

G

jtb

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan
What about the Eskimo and the artic cold; he would have a hard time without killing animals for various reasons.
Haha I really don't want the topic to go into this argument but I can't resist replying. If killing the animal is for a need and not an unneccessary indulgence, I believe it is alright. Im new to this forum, but if you want I can start another seperate topic all about veganism, but Im not sure if there is a place for off topic posts. If you would really like to debate it please let me know.

Aanaddha-

I know nothing about tabla except that I love the way it sounds. People use tabla terms like "syahi" and I have no idea what they mean, and I am really not interested in learning unless I take up tabla, which I really wish to do.

My concern isn't just to learn any eastern instrument. The sound of the tabla is one of my favorite sounds. I love the sitar too and I plan on learning that. I already play guitar and I am looking for a new instrument to learn, and I was torn between violin, sitar, or tabla, but I decided I wanted a percussion instrument to develop my rhythm.

I assure you that I WILL NOT give up my veganism for tabla. I just want to find a vegan tabla =)

Who are these people you are lobbying for? If somebody would be so kind as to give me any contact information or websites of these people I would be happy to email them and help the cause. Otherwise it seems I am not going to be able to play tabla =/
Greg

Reply with quote  #19 
Hi all

I have contacted Pete Lockett who is "in bed" with Remo and he says they can't make a synthetic tabla head...can't even get close....

G

Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg"
Hi all

I have contacted Pete Lockett who is "in bed" with Remo and he says they can't make a synthetic tabla head...can't even get close....

G
It's not that fabricating a synthetic tabla would be absolutely impossible - more to the point even if a reasonable substitute were to be found it would probably not be cost effective or profitable to put into production. Ahhh - the beauty of hand craftsmanship, natural materials, and centuries-old, third-world technology !! :wink:

A.

Reply with quote  #21 
Well if they really can't make a synthetic skin that is unfortunate.

Here is a shot in the dark:

Does anybody know of a person who is as crazy as I am and will only make tablas from the skin of animals who died of natural causes?
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jtb"

Does anybody know of a person who is as crazy as I am and will only make tablas from the skin of animals who died of natural causes?
I doubt it. These are commercial enterprises so waiting for animals to die by themselves won't be too convenient for business. I would hazard a guess that the animals are sometimes primarily slaughtered for other purposes and the skins bought by tabla makers to make instruments.

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aanaddha"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Keshav
In India alone, there are millions of strict vegetarian tabla players.
"millions" :roll: ?? BTW - Vegans and vegatarians have considerably diverse and varied philosophies.

A.
For the literal-minded, I suppose I could have said "multitudes".
Next thing you know, I'll be taken to task for imperfect punctuation.
In the event, Veganism and Vegetarianism are similiar enough in intent that the need to split hairs over terminology seemed unnessary. The two
philosophies aren't exactly polar opposites. :roll:
K
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jtb"

In India, all cows die from natural causes - if you count being hit by rickshaws or busses, intestinal dysfunction due to blockage from eating green plastic shopping bags, starvation etc. There is no such thing as an abbatoir for cows in India. Hindus would never permit it and the Muslims would never even discuss the idea anywhere where their conversation could be overheard. The fellow who makes my khols buys the skins from the Muslim skinners and dyers and (interesting factoid) uses only the belly of the cow for the heads. And this piece is actually placed on a small altar over which a brief puja is done, in respect to to cow, which after all is a mother. What skin is not sold for shoes and sandals is used to make tabla strapping. Tho - the best quality straps are made from camel - which is much tougher and hold tune better.
Cheers,
Keshav
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
In India, all cows die from natural causes -

Keshav
Are you being serious??

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Quote:

Keshav
Are you being serious??
Hell no! Did you read beyond the first 8 words of the sentence?
It is - I would think, safe to say that nobody here would seriously suggest that there are acutally slaughter houses where cows are killed for meat - in India! That (seriously) isn't about to happen. There would be rioting in the streets. I'm not saying this mentality stems from an enlightened philosophy - but simply that this is the prevailing cultural norm in a predominantly Hindu country.
Peace,
K
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Quote:

Keshav
Are you being serious??
The point is moot - suffice to say that the cows that starve naturally or are killed by accident in India are sufficient to supply instruments for the millions of strictly vegetarian tabla players. :wink:

A.

Reply with quote  #28 
Hi

Given that the problem with a synthetic tabla head seems to be the syahi are there no budding material scientists out there that can come up with some suggestions....?

Man on the moon and sat nav...no problem,

small ink spot on drum...no can do

G

jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #29 
So what you are saying is that Muslims eat animals that die of natural causes (let alone the many non-muslims who consume beef), i.e getting hit by rikshaws or of intestinal dysfunction et al, something as forbidden in their religion as eating cows in other religions?

Reply with quote  #30 
Not at all. I never indicated that Muslims ate beef in India - ever. Even supposing someone wanted to eat beef - in India - where would he go to buy it? You could not have it in a shop, nevermind advertise it. I was once in a taxi that accidentally hit a cow (on the last day of Holi no less) and the driver (who was a Hindu) turned colors and began perspiring heavily for fear of being lynched by the locals. With all the unfortunate communal stress in India over issues like this - one would rather not picture what might have happened if the driver had been a Muslim. As it was we dragged the cow to the side of the road gave her water and paid a substantial amount of cash to the fellow who owned her.
......... "Leather" in India comes from a large variety of sources, animals that are not sacred to Hindus - not just cows. And bear in mind that there are multitudes of cows that breed in the streets and just about anywhere they want - and they belong to no-one. They are badly cared for - if at all.
Even the the famous Gau-seva farms - where high-minded Hindus care for lost or sick cows as a "seva" (service) are largely ineffective, poorly managed and underfunded. Frequently the money donated by wealthy industrialist to fund these places - ends up in the pockets of the staff and beat up old cows are milked until they're dried up and left to die. This has been repeatedly written up in the Indian press, and so no, not a product of my imagination or tourist hearsay. In the end the sheer number of cows wandering the streets of villages and cities with no proper nourishment and no treatment for the normal day-to-day afflictions that cattle suffer from - will end up providing the material for a good many dayan pudi.
.........Also - bear in mind, that certain types of buffalo are not protected by the same Hindu strictures. It was not that long ago that buffalo were routinely sacrificed at Kali Ghat Mandir in Calcutta. This practice has fallen out of favor in preference to the much more economical use of goats in the self same puja.
Cheers,
Keshav
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.