INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 9 of 9     «   Prev   6   7   8   9
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #121 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Melvin"

Maybe I´m just a stupid idealist, but I still believe in humanity, beeing able to consciously leave behind it´s "stone-age-heritage" one day, period.

All the best,

Melvin
I have no problem with your overall point of view - however, we should be very careful in our terminology - as well as with our subtle preconceptions when making any estimation of any culture - past or present.
Just as early travelers to India described "Hindoo" music as "irritating noise" our own estimation of someone else's music-culture, lifestyle, or beliefs may be as seriously misconstrued and the consequences of our judgement could eventually lead to the disappearance of that culture.

Despite what many people tend to believe, evolution isn't what human beings were put on this earth to accomplish. By their example both Gandhi and Martin Luther King made significant contributions to human understanding and to a wider definition of humanity. Genetic scientists have also contributed enormously in the past decades to our understanding and definition of life - it's worth making the distinction.

Reply with quote  #122 
Dear original-poster,

http://www.karunyamusicals.com already offers vegan mridangams and are apparently working on offering a vegan tabla soon. You might want to check them out.

(I'm not in any manner associated with the company. I'm just someone who's vegan and who also adores Indian classical music.)

Best.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.