INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 9      1   2   3   4   Next   »
jtb

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello.. I am very interested in purchasing tabla and in beginning to learn how to play, but I have a dilemma: I am somewhat of a vegan, at least to the extent that I really don't want to purchase any drums made out of animal skin unless I am 100% positive that the skin was taken from an animal that died naturally, which is a doubtful situation.

So does anybody know if there is anybody who makes tabla with synthetic fiber skin? I know there are other drums that have the synthetic skin, but I have yet to come across tabla with this skin. I know this will probably make the tabla sound significantly different, but I would be willing to sacrafice this =/

Thanks in advance
visible_world

Reply with quote  #2 
hi, i have never heard of a ral tabla with synthetic skin, but i have heard of a digital one wich is somewhat like a touchpad.
hmm, i think that u will have a hard time find a "veggietabla" but you have my best luck.
regards Jon

Reply with quote  #3 
if you are only somewhat of a vegan than dont worry about it, if you are hard core then I dont think tabla is right for you. A synthetic tabla head would be ehh I dont know probably really bad, Im a vegetarian and feel for you on this issue but you know you just gotta accept it, tabla is a sacred instrument and has been used by countless saints and avatars if that is any consolation???
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #4 
You don't need to learn anything to 'play' a tabla. If it's music you wish to learn (what tabla playing is essentially about) then there are dozens of alternatives. The harmonium, for instance.

Best wishes.

Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #5 
This is why the tabla deserves our respect and reverance. The cycle of life is an important concept. Endings, beginnings; its about time; and time is what the tabla is about. So the fact that animals have been sacrificed to form the instrtument is what gives it its significance, even sanctity. There seems to be no way around the need for the materials required for its formation, at this time, and even if there were I don't believe the instrument would carry as much meaning. The creature is no more yet it still sings beneath my hand.

Reverance for life is more important to me than taking the position of not being responsible for killing. I don't think one can realistically avoid the sacrifice of other beings. That choice was made before you were born.

I've been down the vegan path myself. I feel it may be a transition we should all take but the assumptions that put us there need to be questioned in order for us to eventually move on. Though all life deserves our respect there is one creature that deserves our highest respect, you.
taal

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi;
Being vegetarian is way of life for my family and all our generations in past. I appreciate your concern. But I think for tabla, there is no need to worry because I am almost sure that hardly any animal is killed solely for production of tabla. I think all the skin material of animals killed mainly for eating goes as “by-product” for leather articles, footwear etc. Hence skin consumption for tabla might hardly be of any significance.

Anonymous

Reply with quote  #7 
In India alone, there are millions of strict vegetarian tabla players.
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Keshav
In India alone, there are millions of strict vegetarian tabla players.
"millions" :roll: ?? BTW - Vegans and vegatarians have considerably diverse and varied philosophies.

A.

Reply with quote  #9 
"Hence skin consumption for tabla might hardly be of any significance."
Except to the creature. That being the point.
jtb

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for your replies but I think a lot of you are mistunderstanding my stance on the whole vegan issue.

Veganism and vegetarianism are not one in the same. Vegans refrain from eating or using anything made from animal product. There are different types of vegetarians but generally they will still eat dairy and still wear leather and such. I am somewhat of a hybrid of the two.

First, and I suppose this is in reponse to Revolver's comment and possibly taal's comment as well, I said that I am "somewhat of a vegan" because I am a vegetarian that won't use/comsume anything made from slaying a living creature, such as leather. I am not a complete vegan because I will eat eggs and milk because no living creature has died to make these products. Using a drum skin made from an animal would violate this principle.

Scodah, I would be happy to debate my logic of veganism with you, but I don't want to derail this topic. I think the world would be better off if humans did not slay their inferiors without a need. Basically I think there is something intrinsically wrong with humans causing pain to animals when there is no need for it; the motive for causing this pain to animals is human indulgence. I find something to be off there.

Ok, back on topic, sorry for the rant...

I guess the answer to my question is as I dreaded: I will either have to choose tabla playing or veganism. Unfortunately, this means that I will not be playing tabla unless I can find of a place to get a tabla with a snythetic skin. If anybody has anymore advice please don't keep it to yourself
taal

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi;
I once again appreciate and respect your concern about animals. However, one need not be under impression that consumption of milk/egg doesn’t lead to killing of any animal. Business world is very cruel; just see FAQ’s on the site http://www.vegan.com for further details.

Yes, these facts are disturbing……and it also true that one can’t really survive without milk which is fed to him/her in child days. The list can be endless if we want to include trees in this subject (which have life too)
I know all this may go out of topic and can be confusing to for anyone who want to adopt a particular life-style. I am confused too. I just give consolation to myself in believing that animals are surely not killed solely for manufacture of tabla (unless tabla manufacture is seen as “franchise” opportunity by some businessmen).
Coming back to topic, yes, there were some posting in past on this forum on synthetic drum membrane; there was good discussion about it. Kindly search in archives; hopefully you may find something.
By the way, there is no doubt that there exists good potential in making “eco friendly vegan tabla” in future. If I would have been staying in India (where I was for last 35 years...but started learning tabla when I left India ...I will curse myself for rest of life for that); I would have surely given some synthetic leather from shoe makers to tabla makers and asked them to make a model. If you are in India, you may think of it.

scodoha

Reply with quote  #12 
Remo manufactures a synthetic head made of what they call Fibreskyn. I just sent them a note asking them to consider developing a tabla head. I encourage everyone on this forum to do the same, couldn't hurt.

jtb, you could consider taking up the tablah (dumbek, etc) which commonly have mylar heads. Mylar or polyester is sythesized from petroleum products. Since there were no humans around when that was formed you shouldn't have a problem.
jtb

Reply with quote  #13 
taal - Thanks for the info but I really don't want to get too far off topic. I must say that I know many companies abuse animals to get dairy products. Ill simply comment without elaborating too much that there are certain companies that are run by people sympathetic for animals, and they produce milk and eggs for sale without abusing the animals or slaughtering them. You just have to know who to buy your dairy from.

scodoha - I am really interested in the "tablah". I have never heard of such a thing and I am very unfamilliar with anything about it. I will look into it though. Does it sound or play a lot differently than tabla?
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #14 
What about the Eskimo and the artic cold; he would have a hard time without killing animals for various reasons.

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jtb"

Thanks for your replies but I think a lot of you are mistunderstanding my stance on the whole vegan issue.

I guess the answer to my question is as I dreaded: I will either have to choose tabla playing or veganism. Unfortunately, this means that I will not be playing tabla unless I can find of a place to get a tabla with a snythetic skin. If anybody has anymore advice please don't keep it to yourself

jtb,

I think you're over-dramatizing your "dilemma".

I don't understand why you wouldn't consider taking up another instrument that wasn't constructed from animal parts?? Seriously, why the tabla and not some other type of percussion that's made from synthetic materials? Is it Indian (Hindustani) music that appeals so much to you - or, like so many tabla beginners, you imagine yourself in the image of Zakir Hussain? The sitar, the sarode, santoor, shenai, harmonium, veena - the list of exotic Indian instruments is wide and I would leap at the opportunity to take up any of those instruments if a tabla wasn't available to me, or if there were enough hours in the day to practice more than one - I'm assuming that you wouldn't take up vocal practice or dance?
Don't be fooled thinking that the tabla is going to be easier to learn and require less practice and training than the sitar or sarode! Trust me, there's not a person on this forum who plays the tabla and has no greater love for the music. If you're not interested in the music; khyal, dhrupad, qawaali, kirtan, bhajan, ghaazal, ... - then the tabla isn't for you either and you don't deserve one anyway.
One of the guys in the sitar forum replied recently to a similiar inquiry; " you don't 'learn' the sitar, you learn the music and the history and traditions of India and Pakistan - a sitar is only a means to get there." Same with tabla. Please consider the more obvious and attainable alternatives before giving up your veganism for a drum.

Sincerely,

Aanaddha

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.