INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jesworthy

Reply with quote  #1 
Wonderful instrument I bought from Tony K about 10 years ago for $800. He said it came out of the Rikhi Ram shop. Set up Ram Narayan style. Unusual for the enclosed peg-boxes covered by wooden plates held in with small screws. I don't know whether this was done for aesthetics or to aid in projection, but I think it does both. Very pretty sarangi with lots of faux MOP inlay on the face, and a nicely-done panel on the top of the instrument. One mismatched main peg and a lovely Ganesh statue glued between the jawari bridges. I'd like to get what I paid for it, but make me an offer. Email for pictures or more information.

Thanks,
Jeff
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #2 
Pl. email me the pictures at medilizer@yahoo.co.in
chanders

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi. I'd love to see this Sarangi

schanderbally at gmail.com
manmeet

Reply with quote  #4 
akalsahai@hotmail.com I have 3 sarangis but there is always room for one more.
anoopsahota

Reply with quote  #5 
please send me the pics too...bedroombhangra@gmail.com
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #6 
Dear,

I am sorry to say that you have paid four times the price for this sarangi. This is available for $ 180-$ 200 from India. This is new generation sarangi. Older sarangis prepared from Jaunpur, Meruth, Badayun, Lucknow, Delhi from few traditional families carry much value irrespective of its condition. Sarangi players still prefer this & spend a lot after their repair rather than purchasing fresh sarangis.
tristani

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "DrKashyap"
Dear,

I am sorry to say that you have paid four times the price for this sarangi. This is available for $ 180-$ 200 from India. This is new generation sarangi. Older sarangis prepared from Jaunpur, Meruth, Badayun, Lucknow, Delhi from few traditional families carry much value irrespective of its condition. Sarangi players still prefer this & spend a lot after their repair rather than purchasing fresh sarangis.
Namaste, I find your comment very interesting as I was going to purchase one of the sarangis from ebay which go for 180 - 200 as you've said. Would you happen to know the quality of those sarangis? Or perhaps may even be able to recommend one? Thank you very much for reading.
DrKashyap

Reply with quote  #8 
Where are you located ? I can help if you or some friend is in India. Feel free to PM or mail me at drkashyapdave@gmail.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.