INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
xyxy

Reply with quote  #16 
Hi There,
I've returned from a trip to Paki to visit Khansab Dildar Hussain and I couldn't help but post a reply.
Good luck trying to get the sound of Khansab. He is a Master!
I got the blessed fortune to sit next to him at a ceremony,
with his qawwali group the past two years his son Israr has been playing tabla
while Dildar and older son Abrar play harmonium and sing.
His son Israr is up and coming sensation. However, a pier (saint) requested Haji Dildar to play,
and when he sat and played the same drum, the bass was incredibly resonant, easily surpassing the already boomin bass of Israr!
It's his special magic, and doesn't necessarily have to do with the drum itself but with his mastery,
his hands (strong and yet amazingly soft, not calloused) and his divine gift.

I am a baby in the qawwali tabla world, but i got to see it up close, and with a Master! give thanks!
and...
Yes, qawwali players do use Atta.
They also use dhama with masala inside, but as mentioned either one or the other, not both.

The application of atta is similar to the youtube video, however the shape used is not a circle,
rather an elipse at one side
(leaving more space for the area your hand slides across,
similar to placement on bhayan, but an oval not a circle).

Cheers,
xy
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #17 
"I have been playing on it with sucess and it delivers a good bass sound but it is not quite the deep, warm bass sound that I am looking for- specifically the bass sound produced by Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's tabla player, Dildar Hussain on various qawwali records."

You have to bare in mind that the sound you hear on a recording is one that's been run through a microphone, and all kinds of filtering circuits and has been aurally modified by the engineer and the producer - and in the end often exhibits qualities that have little resemblence to the sound of the naked drum. Having worked on many recordings I can tell you that engineers are known to spend as much as six hours moving microphones around and adjusting levels of bass, high-end and midrange, phasing etc (on just the drum kit), before even starting to set up mikes for the other musicians which rarely take very long. I'm not suggesting that that amount of time was spent on the drums played by Dildar (that would be unlikely) but keep in mind huge difference you hear between an un-miked dayan and one that's been miked and passed through a sound system. It's like two different drums entirely. Same thing is true for sitars. An un-miked sitar never sounds as dynamic as one that's been amplified, which to my mind makes all the online "samples" of sitars for sale - largely invalid. One never knows how much the recording has been hot-miked and manipulated. Moreover - the fidelity of samples played over computer speakers is a joke.

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #18 
Keshav brings up an excellent point. In fact people largely forget the effect that miking has on sound. Ive heard world class tabla players play miked and unmiked and the difference is like night and day.

Reply with quote  #19 
Hi guys,
I’m a also a tabla player and was wanting to order a traditional qawali dhamma like the one Dildar Hussain uses. Does anyone know of his tabla maker and where I could contact them?

Thanks guys!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.