Reply with quote  #16 
Oh I kinda went off the deep end Pov, took a walk as suggested,
povster

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "fossesitar"
Oh I kinda went off the deep end Pov, took a walk as suggested,
Phew! Walks are good.

Some of the topics you mentioned are interesting to me. Especially things like string formulation. I am ALWAYS looking out for alternate strings for my rudra vin. Still seeking that cross between sweetness and growl. And I have found the plastic swans tend to have fatter bases than ther bone, creating a surer foot and more surface to glue leather to. But I don't like their look as much so have a bone swan on my sitar.

On the vin I go to a local bead store and have found some nice fat ceramic beads that take the leather fine and offer nice control.

I use two different types: smaller for the baj and kharaj which are closest to me and longer for the further away jodi and pancham. While quite different, the pairs match nicely in form and color but feel differently. Since I have to go by touch when fine tuning the vin, the two varities allow me to identify them when they are above my head.

So sometimes the little bits are interesting and useful!

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #18 
My cat-wife kinda likes to sleep in the tumba while I play, so I leave it on. After all, she's the boss and the wife is always right.

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Quote:
I think westerners - especially guitarists and many of us on this forum - love to obsess about minuteia when a quick p[aying test should enable any perceptive person to determine their personal preference- ON or OFF. As they say in Tibet "A thousand monks, a thousand religions". Does it matter? What is next? Plastic versus bone swans and the tonal effect of same? Metallurgical analysis of the bronze strings and their tonal qualities? Effect of the cellulose decor (or lack of same) on the tone? Glue and its tonal qualities? Lacquer? ...
Greg - this IS a joke, right?
Sadly not too much of a joke...as a recovering player of The Modern Occidental Lute That Shall Not Be Named, some of my fellow players really do delve into the absolutely ludicrous in their quest for something called "tone". Things that would only strike an outsider as really strange...people paying top dollar for "New Old Stock" obscure vacuum tubes from the 50s, the effect of ceramic versus oil/paper capacitors, cloth vs rubber insulated wire, poly vs nitrocellulose lacquer, I could go on and on... :mrgreen:
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #20 
I was in the amp biz for a while, and of course build a musical instrument. On amps - and on musical instruments - it is truly surprising sometimes the effect some seemingly insignificant things can HAVE on tone - although this is often only perceivable by the player and in many cases not even by them if a true A - B blindfold test were run

As someone on the forum said - most of it is in your FINGERS anyway, and furthermore, musicians from the delta (mississippi) were able to make truly sublime music with a cigar box and some catgut......
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #21 
Oh, I still have an inner gearhead...given the choice I'll play something class A and stocked with EL84s. But I don't pretend to be able to hear the difference between Germanium and silicon transistors in a circuit, and I'm not sure Hendrix could either!

In acoustic instruments, like sitar, minor details can have a greater impact. However, as other people have said when discussing tonal impact of things like carvings and decorations, its not usually much of a perceptible one, and the biggest influence on tone is the fellow behind the instrument. Hand me Ust. Vilayat Khan's finest personal sitar, the music and even tone will still sound amateurish and poor, but had you handed the Ustad a cheap mass-produced sitar...if he could get over any disgust he might feel over poor worksmanship...I'd be very much surprised if he still couldn't sound fantastic on it.
John

Reply with quote  #22 

:wink:

povster

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
Sadly not too much of a joke...as a recovering player of The Modern Occidental Lute That Shall Not Be Named,
You were a mandolin player?

One person's minutiae is another person's interest. Such minutiae is a big reason message boards were created. Everyone knows driving too fast is dangerous. I say we go out to the race tracks and advise the drivers to slow down!

fossesitar

Reply with quote  #24 
hmmmm - it is my preference to race ahead that causes my impatience with minuteia. ah well. playin sitar and surb in a classy art gallery/performance space/babe bar in the heart of downtown asheville tonite, solo gig through the PA with the electrics. wish me luck
povster

Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
hmmmm - it is my preference to race ahead that causes my impatience with minuteia. ah well. playin sitar and surb in a classy art gallery/performance space/babe bar in the heart of downtown asheville tonite, solo gig through the PA with the electrics. wish me luck
Greg, I wuill bet many tidbits of minuteia came into play as you were first concieving and then creating/building your carbon fiber sitar and surbahar. It has its uses.

If you know Ken Hanke (film critic and author of various film books) tell him Povster said hi! Let us know how the gig went. Hopefully there was a recording you can post some snippets of. Really interested in hearing the sound of the instruments, especially the surbahar, in performance mode!

fossesitar

Reply with quote  #26 
My Little concert went smoothly, played both the latest sitar and the new surb through my amp XLR'd to the PA (pre-amp out) and the sound was good not great, but good (very basic PA with only one tone control per channel). Modest audience of about 10 souls mostly friends, surb sounded awesome but I am prejudiced, sitar incredibly sweet and subtle but ditto, looks like I am headed out west (Cali) soon, invited to give a clinic/demo/hands on try out at the AAS, date to be determined. I played simply but cleanly and pretty well, folks were pleased.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.