INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #1 
From an Indian guitar players website:
"Later on he once played Raga "Vrindavani Sarang"on his Guitar in the premises where a herd of cows were grazing grass in the compound. After some time, one of the cows from the herd suddenly came nearby amused and enjoyed the melody till he stopped playing. This is but the intuition and the effect of vibration caused by the Raga. This clearly depicts the Spiritualism in the "INDIAN CLASSICAL MUSIC".

Boogie till the cows come home? I once attracted 2 cows with a saxaphone...beam me up swami!!!

Reply with quote  #2 
I used to live in a place that had a pretty large front porch with a lawan in front of the apartment building. When I'd play music outside (sitar or guitar), I swear there'd be anywhere from 15 to 100 birds (seriously I counted). it was always theses little brown birds, I think Chikadees? I completly believe stories about Tansen bringing animals close to him when he sang. Any body ever catch a goat with music?
Mr West

Reply with quote  #3 
Hehe... This year in Varanasi I attracted a monkey practising sitar. He hang outside the window the whole time showing serious interest. Luckily I had bars berfore the window as he made a go for the sitar case as soon as I finished!
sitarman

Reply with quote  #4 
Wow, I never saw a "monkey practicing sitar". Doh!!!
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarman"
Wow, I never saw a "monkey practicing sitar". Doh!!!
Thats cuz we've never met!!

I do subscribe to the idea that animals are attracted and soothed by pleasing music. To then extrapolate that this is an indication of a persons spiritual "net worth" is pushing the issue slightly.
Playing in a natural enviornment and having a connection to the other intelligences is indeed a blessing, my yard in the desert is often a resting place for migratory birds, home to a desert iguana, a raven and other critters just passing through. Maybe its the spiritual essence of the animals that attracts me....A monkey with a sitar. Wish I'd been given a prehensile tail though it would be trick for strumming the tarabs.

Reply with quote  #6 
I've actually had the local police ask me to please not play too late due to the heards of wild monkeys and wilderbee that are atracted, which is really unuasual as living in Arizonia, there are no monkeys. But I've learned to tame them, in fact- now one plays the tampura for me. I cant beleive you all aren't experiencing this. Perhaps its the way in which we tune our tarabs.
:twisted: :mrgreen:
Andius

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi guys,

Have also had an experience with my sitar playing affecting animals. I was practicing recently when the neighbours dog sat in front of me, head cocked to one side. I was delighted. Then he howled a couple of time, squatted down and left a "deposit" on my carpet and ran out. You think I need more practice? Was he trying to tell me something?

But serioulsy, Francis of Assisi was famous for attracting animals/birds. Does anyone know if theres any reference to him playing any instrument? Or maybe he was singing plainsong during his devotions, and that attracted them. Many references to animals being charmed by music, and not just in Eastern sources.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.