INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
lotus

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi All,
Since there is no saraswati veena section I will try posting here!
I am looking for a reputable source to purchase a one piece saraswati veena that is of high quality for daily playing. I see online ordering sites but am unsure if they are authentic and of good quality to ship to US. I appreciate any feedback.
Inspired Initiate
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "lotus"
Hi All,
Since there is no saraswati veena section I will try posting here!
Hi lotus. Actually there is - it is the CARNATIC SANGEET section.

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #3 
I just happened to find a saraswati veena at "SOUND WORLD INSTRUMENTS" out of Arizona.

Reply with quote  #4 
Coyootie had at least 1 or 2 at his site.
I would definately call Kalyan or Lars before buying from a site that specializes in RKS or Rosul instruments. Not that the vendor in question is not reputable BUT with an instrument like a Veena you REALLY need advice from someone who knows wherefore they speak.

Just my 2 roops for all they are worth.
Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #5 
:wink: The first person I'd call would indeed be Lars, provided he didn't have a one to two year wait on getting one.

RKS sitars? Doesn't the Ali Akbar school sell those too?

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM
:wink: The first person I'd call would indeed be Lars, provided he didn't have a one to two year wait on getting one.

RKS sitars? Doesn't the Ali Akbar school sell those too?
Yes, Om Guy, they do. The original poster said "specialize in RKS:". AACM does not. They have relationships with and sell sell Hiren (Barun), Hemen (interesting to see what happens now that he has passed), Rikki Ram, Paul & Co, etc etc etc. There are also some interesting used instruments. I know AACM like you know RainCity. Just jump in my car and in about 30 minutes I am there. Very good people and all musicans/students of ICM.

I like both AACM and RainCity. Never had problems with either. When I make recommendations I usually mention both. Only fair. But to denigrate a place like AACM doesn't look good.

aparna.hari

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi,

I am looking to purchase Saraswati Veena for my learning and having a hard time to find providers in USA. I got quotes from vendors in India (including shipping) and also from some websites in USA and nothing is going below $1000. Ali Akbar College, Sitar Emporium etc did not carry one. Can anyone provide with some helpful suggestions about purchasing a Veena here or getting it shipped from India (or even having it as a checked in baggage ) ?

Thank you,
Best regards,
Aparna
cabaray

Reply with quote  #8 
I know that Andys Mucsic Chicago as a couple of saraswati veenas. Not sure of the make or quality but give them a call. http://www.andysmusicchicago.com/store.html

Ray
sale13142

Reply with quote  #9 
Here is a veena for asale

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10718&p=64931#p64931
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.