assingh

Reply with quote  #1 
A short interview ...

pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "assingh"
A short interview ...

Interesting interview. I might perhaps quibble with his claim that, today, serious students of Indian Classical music must struggle with and overcome "distractions and challenges from the west". Surely the west has no monopoly on "distractions and challenges" confronting the serious minded Indian student.

He has some similar views regarding education in ICM as the tabla player Sadanand Naimpalli regarding the necessity of gov't involvement and Partial institutionalization of ICM education, but still keeping, or adapting the "guru-shishya" tradition (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurukula) to modern educational needs.

(Sadanand Naimpalli has a wish-list for what he would like to see done ...

http://sadanand.freeservers.com/rich_text.html)

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #3 
I took it to mean distractions(#1) and challenges from the west(#2). So 2 things, not challenges and distractions from the west(one thing).

Protest Warrior sign.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bhagi"
I took it to mean distractions(#1) and challenges from the west(#2). So 2 things, not challenges and distractions from the west(one thing).
I also took him to mean 2 things, namely "distractions and challenges" but both from the west.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.