INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
povster

Reply with quote  #16 
It is a magnificent performance. The sound quality bothers me not at all. This is the stuff I grew up with, so to speak. Aside from a few Nikhil Banerji and Ravi Shankar records, the bulk of my listening was a large 4-track reel to reel recorded one track per performance at 1 7/8 ips from AIR and multi-generational copies from other "collectors". So I am well used to the low sound quality and, strangely for me, I find the low-fi alsost "romantic" - like you are listening through time to the past.
dhruvsodha

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
I find the low-fi alsost "romantic" - like you are listening through time to the past.
I totally agree! Sometimes, the low quality recordings sound better than the noiseless ones...Its like you're listening to an LP
mahadev

Reply with quote  #18 
1 7/8 ips on a 4t track Revox/Tascam/ Sony etc ?

I got stacks of those tapes, going back to 1977.
Ok, when I get back to India I will ask for permission to publish all this stuff, but I have to ask first, I am sure you will understand.

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mahadev"
I got stacks of those tapes, going back to 1977.
Ok, when I get back to India I will ask for permission to publish all this stuff, but I have to ask first, I am sure you will understand.
We all understand and we all hope/wish/pray that permission will be granted (soon!) and none of the resulting recipients would abuse the the trust implicit in such a permission.

cheers!
Apeksha

Reply with quote  #20 
Hi Mahadev,
I can't access the file. Can you re-upload it please? Also,is this Nikhil Da's last performance?
Regards,
Apeksha.
shadja.pancham

Reply with quote  #21 
HI Mahadev,

I am not able to access the file. Could you share the link again? Also, please provide the exact length of performance. I just want to check whether I have it with me

Thank you!
mahadev

Reply with quote  #22 
Greetings everyone,

have not been around here for a long time, mainly because I am still in India and up in the Himalayas with a very shaky and slow internet connection.

Ok, will see what I can do, if I can I will re-upload this .
Or, somebody else who has the recording and a fast connection can do it, thanks.

Btw, no, it is not NB's last concert. I have a very good recording of that concert but to this day I have never listened to it, not even once. I was there and I saw him suffer on stage and it's not a memory I want to relive. I know he would have much prefered if there had been no recordings at all of that concert.

Reply with quote  #23 
Would be cool if somebody who does have this recording coold make it available again. ... Please...

I have that last Darbari and I can feel that he is not at his best -- and I am saddened to hear that he was not well and would have preferred not to have that recording. I am deleting it now because of this.

Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #24 
HI Max,
I am not able to access the file also.
Regards.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.