INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
Pundit Nayan Ghosh sharing memories of Ustad Ahmedjaan Thirkawa

This is quite an interesting and intimate portrait of U. Ahmedjaan Thirakwa by Nayan Ghosh who knew him intimately as he lived in his home in his later years. It goes well beyond the usual information found in Wikipedia.

Most of this is in english, but on occasion in Hindi. There are some key moments (at 6:30) for example where Nayan Ghosh says, ".. and then Thirakwa told my father what was really going on which was ...[breaks into Hindi!]" If anyone could be so gracious as to maybe translate that portion, I would be (and others no doubt would be) grateful!

historical side note: Thirakwa's true age seems a contested issue.

Nayan Ghosh says that Thirakwa was in his late 90s to early 100s when he died. Wikipedia gives 1892?-1976 for his birth and death. It's very unlikely that he was anywhere near 100 because that would require his birth year to be 1876; but he became Munir Khan's disciple at age 12 whose birth and death years are 1877-1938, meaning that Munir Khan would have been 11, a rather unlikely state of affairs! Assuming that the earliest that Munir Khan would have taken on disciples was in his early twenties (late 1890s) means that the earliest Thirakwa would have been born was mid 1880s. If, as is more likely, Munir Khan was taking disciples in the very early 1900s when he was in his late 20s and more established, pushes the earliest birth year for Thirakwa to the late 1880s to very early 1890s, which is consistent with the not well documented year of 1892.

Pascal
p.s. it figures, of course, that I've just now discovered that Munir Khan's birth year is not entirely secure, and is sometimes listed as 187?

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
evening84

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
There are some key moments (at 6:30) for example where Nayan Ghosh says, ".. and then Thirakwa told my father what was really going on which was ...[breaks into Hindi!]" If anyone could be so gracious as to maybe translate that portion, I would be (and others no doubt would be) grateful!
He quotes Thirakwa as saying this to his father :
"I want to teach you Tabla. I have a lot of Tabla from the buzurgs (older stalwarts) and I feel it would get lost. I have one foot in the grave."

pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "evening84"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
There are some key moments (at 6:30) for example where Nayan Ghosh says, ".. and then Thirakwa told my father what was really going on which was ...[breaks into Hindi!]" If anyone could be so gracious as to maybe translate that portion, I would be (and others no doubt would be) grateful!
He quotes Thirakwa as saying this to his father :
"I want to teach you Tabla. I have a lot of Tabla from the buzurgs (older stalwarts) and I feel it would get lost. I have one foot in the grave."
Many thanks! Ok, I think that makes sense in context.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #4 
Duplicate, but don't remove it.

It is always a pleasure to listen to such artists speak.

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10248&p=62190&hilit=nayan+ghosh+thirakawa#p62190
pbercker

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
Duplicate, but don't remove it.

It is always a pleasure to listen to such artists speak.

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10248&p=62190&hilit=nayan+ghosh+thirakawa#p62190
Thanks for pointing this out ... I thought I had checked for duplicate but I missed it somehow.

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.