INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
I ran across a relatively recent upload of a tabla solo by Pt. Kanai Dutta (Farukhabad gharana). I've heard the name many times but I don't see very many tabla solos by him. There's very little info. about him on web, and the little that I found is below. He was apparently a favorite accompanist of Pt. Nikhil Banerjee and Pt. Ravi Shankar, but died relatively young in 1975.

February 2013 upload ...

an older 2010 post ...

Quote:
Kanai Dutta:
Although not a child of any musical family Pandit Kanai Dutta is a name associated with a few other world-renowned figures- Pandit Ravi Shankar, Ustad Ali Akbar Khan, Ustad Vilayat Khan, Pandit Nikhil Banerjee. Ustad Amjad Ali Khan and son. When Pdt. Ravi Shankar was opening to western music-lovers new vistas of Indian Classical Music during the decade Fifties, Sixties, Kanai Dutta was one of his steady accompanists on the Tabla. He toured extensively with him in Asia , Australia , Europe and in United States . He had been to Kabul as a member of the Cultural Delegation of the Government of India. To some extent, like Pdt. Ravi Shankar, he was also “our man abroad,” with his hand-drums. He got the assignment of teaching American students for three years from 1967 at the initiative of the American Society for Eastern Arts. As preferred by Sitar-Player Pdt. Nikhil Banerjee, he travelled on Chain-Programmes of music with him at various places of the United States and the UK for years together.

At the early stage Sri Dutta took lessons under the tutorship of the Late Babu Khan, Sadhan Ch. Das, Satish Das, the then disciple of Ustad Abid Hussain Khan of Lucknow.He got moral patronage from Nawab Mirza Sahab of Kidderpore and Janakinath Chattopadhyay, founder Headmaster, Kidderpore Academy . Shree Dutta joined the class of Shree Hemanta Bhattacharyya. This was followed by a period of learning at the instance of Pdt. Jnan Prakash Ghosh under the Veteran Tabla-maestro of Farrukhabad, Ustad Masid Khan. Shree Dutta made a remarkable progress under him. But the man who gave the final touch to this enthusiastic learner's finished artistry was no less a man than the famous Bengalee exponent, Padmabhusan. Pdt. Jnan Prakash Ghosh who was an institution by himself in the vast world of Indian Classical Music. ...

http://bihaanmusic.com/album_details.php?id=190

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
Nice .....
but I was hoping for some ACTUAL Video Footage of the great tabla player - such a shame there isn't much out there of the said greats !

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.