INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mike hooker

Reply with quote  #1 
am i correct in understanding that while playing the been, a chickari is often struck simultaneously with the main string note? its hard to pick that up in listening to recordings.

thanks
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
Not to my knowledge but you may be thinking opf the "laraj" (as it is sometimes referred) which is in the same position as the chicaris but on the opposite side of the neck. If you watch some Asad Ali videos (youtube has some) you will see him use the small finger of the left hand to strike that string while his right hand is playing.

Check out this rather amazing video of Asad Ali Khan playing Darbari.

At around the 20 second mark start attending to his left hand and you will see him striking the laraj a couple of times. Also around the 46 second mark. He does this a few times and it may be what you are thinking of?.

Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #3 
yes... in jhalla Asad Ali Khan sometimes plays both the chikari and the main string at the same time. I saw Glynn Snelgrove do it and het told me he had learned it from AAK. There are some closeups of AAK's hand where he does it as well. In Dagar-style I've never seen it being played.
Jason

Reply with quote  #4 
Remco,

I saw a photo of your new RV on your website. It is beautiful! How is it going?
Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Jason...

I'll post more details on my veena soon. I'm in the middle of a house-move. I'll open a new topic as soon as I've got the time (and an internetconnection )

But...so far...she's a stunner!! Just amazing. I've been playing her now for a month and a half, so it still takes a lot of adjusting. Even how to sit with a veena for over a longer time is difficult. But since I've studied the surb for 6 years I can transplant all the music to veena quicker than I thought.

I can now see why this instrument is considered King among string instruments. When you play it next to the surbahar the overtones are amazing. The thicker strings and higher tension somehow make it a lot more precise than the surbahar.
CarnaticConnection

Reply with quote  #6 
There are very many jhalla techniques used by beenkars. The "traditional" jhalla stroke on the veena is 'da-ra-da-chik' repeated. But obviously there are much more intricate ones. One technique does involve striking the chikari and the baaj at the same time, and it is a very difficult art. It is one of the crowning techniques in gauharbani been playing, and is used in the other two been styles as well.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.