INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
donwh9

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a male Tanpura from Miraj. I got it on E-Bay. I Like it. Today I changed the strings. The seller sent with the Tanpura a couple of sets. Putting on the 3rd string (the 4th being the octave lower string) I could not get it to go through the hole, round the post and through the hole again to lock it. I can get it to go through the hole once and it sticks out about 3/4". I measured the string's length and its 60". On the websites I have visited, The Tanpura string sets are all 60". It looks like I will have to either purchase a coil (133') of steel wire from Rain City Music or have them
individually cut a special string for that one string position that's 65".
Has anyone else come across this problem? I am following the instructions on how to restring the Tanpura using the 'Tanpura Tutor #1' DVD by Ashwin Batish. The DVD is very good. All the other strings fit fine and they are tight.
As Marvin Gaye would say, "What's Goin On?"
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "drone"
I have a male Tanpura from Miraj. I got it on E-Bay. I Like it. Today I changed the strings. The seller sent with the Tanpura a couple of sets. Putting on the 3rd string (the 4th being the octave lower string) I could not get it to go through the hole, round the post and through the hole again to lock it. I can get it to go through the hole once and it sticks out about 3/4". I measured the string's length and its 60". On the websites I have visited, The Tanpura string sets are all 60". It looks like I will have to either purchase a coil (133') of steel wire from Rain City Music or have them
individually cut a special string for that one string position that's 65".
Has anyone else come across this problem? I am following the instructions on how to restring the Tanpura using the 'Tanpura Tutor #1' DVD by Ashwin Batish. The DVD is very good. All the other strings fit fine and they are tight.
As Marvin Gaye would say, "What's Goin On?"
Before anyone comes forward to answer your question, perhaps you could clarify a few things:

Have you measured the thickness of the strings, both old and new?

What's the brand of the strings?

Have you measured from peg to tail, and if so, what is that measurement?

What is the overall measurement of the tanpura itself?

Reply with quote  #3 
The gauge is 018 in, The brand is Vishal for 'Gents Tanpura', the Peg to tail distance is 53" and the total length of the Tanpura is 55".
donwh9

Reply with quote  #4 
Actually the gauge of the 2nd and 3rd strings on my Tanpura are closer to 015 not 018.
Drone
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #5 
It appears as if no one's going to answer, so my advice then is to contact Lars, as I know he has coils that should solve your issues.

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "drone"
Actually the gauge of the 2nd and 3rd strings on my Tanpura are closer to 015 not 018.
Drone
What pitch are you tuning Sa to?

.015 sounds a bit thin for a male tanpura. .018 - .020 sounds closer. You should also check the diameters of the other strings if you can and see if while you are ordering new middle strings, the Pa and low sa strings may also benefit from a different gauge.

donwh9

Reply with quote  #7 
Lars from Rain City Music has sent me a coil of 16 gauge steel wire for my 3rd string and it matches perfectly with the 2nd string gauge. My tanpura is droning in D and I'm a happy boy.
I now have enough steel wire to wrap around the world at least 12 times.

Namaste
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #8 
Most often these thicker strings get set onto the pegs by sticking the wire through, bending the wire down to form a 1" +- tab and then winding the wire around that tab as the string is being tuned up. It works reasonably well but I don't like the idea of that tab of wire present to draw blood when you got for that peg while tuning. I've also seen thoughtless excess length of wire scratch circles around the peg hole. I would suggest getting a 1/16" drill bit and redrilling the hole in the peg shaft.

Reply with quote  #9 
Lars from Rain City Music sent me a 100" steel coil of wire. I was joking about its length.
I feed the wire thru the peg hole, wrap it around and thru the hole just enough to lock it under the string I will be winding around. That way it won't be sticking out to cut yourself and its locked to stay in tune.
I just want someone to play music with me in the St. Louis area. Email me if you live in this area and want to play some Indian music.
drone

Droning in 'D'
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.