INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #1 
I cant seem to get my sympathetic strings to resonate when i am playing the main strings. Am i doing something wrong?
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #2 
Asalaam Khatru,
The problem could be caused by a number of factors. The best place to start would be the websites that deal with set up and maintenance of a sitar. I recall that Sitarsetc has a link as well as David and Chandras website, silverbush also has useful information. On the surface it could be the placement of the main bridge affecting the intonation but it could also be a jawari issue and so forth. Also the tarbs must be tuned to the fretted notes and not by an electronic tuner with a tempered scale. Remember we're talking about a different tuning system with ICM not the common guitar, piano, orchestral tuning used to calibrate most electronic tuners.

Reply with quote  #3 
Could be something as simple as you're tuning too low........my taribs didn't come alive until I began tuning to C# (rather than the C I had been tuning to.....D is simply too much for me, but C# is just perfect)

What are you tuning your sitar to?
sitarman

Reply with quote  #4 
I agree strongly that tuning higher seems to make the tarbs ring more readily. However, as with the main bridge, the jawari of the tarb bridge affects it as well. My HR has doubled the volume and sensitivity of the tarbs since Brian Godden redid by tarb bridge last year.
Amerikon

Reply with quote  #5 
I probably know less about these things than anyone else on the forum, but if your sitar is very new the tarafs could be unresponsive. I've had my sitar for just over three months and the sympathetic response has increased from non-existant to pleasantly subtle. From what I've heard it can take up to a year to break in a new sitar. If anyone can explain or describe the changes a sitar goes through in the early stages of its life, I'd be interested to hear it. (Is there a doctor on the board?)
Andius

Reply with quote  #6 
Khatru,
My two pence worth: I would hazard a guess that maybe your tarb bridge jawari is not right. Tarb response on my sitar is total; the tarb strings leave the surface of the bridge about two-thirds along its length, at a very shallow angle.

But first, check that the tarabs are in tune with the fretted notes. If not, just pluck a note and slowly meend up, plucking all the while. At some point your fretted/meended note will be in tune with a tarab string, and you will (should!) hear it sound. If no sound, then try this:

Check that your tarb strings are not leaving the bridge straight off the front edge , (strings being cut off by the front edge); there must be a shallow angle between tarabs/bridge, meeting the bridge about one third along from the front edge. On the other extreme, check the tarb strings are not coming straight off the back bridge notches with little or no contact with the bridge surface. Maybe re-positioning the tarab bridge may help in achieving this critical angle. If not then jawari (reshaping the surface) work on the bridge may do it. Sitarfixer and others on this forum can give you better advice on this than I can.

Probably other members sitars tarab bridge setup differs; can only report on a very close inspection of mine.

Good luck.
element-82

Reply with quote  #7 
The other thing to keep in mind about the tarabs not responding is that the main jawari might need to be "refreshed" . I find that after jawari the tarabs sing effortlessly. (did someone mention this already?)

Pb

adunc069

Reply with quote  #8 
Hello person that started this thread, If you're in Boston, you should look up a teacher named Kelly Johnson. He learns from ustad Shahid Parvez and 'm sure he could both help you with your tarab troubles as well as take you to the man himself
element-82

Reply with quote  #9 
Hey adam, I think you got the wrong thread.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "adunc069"
Hello person that started this thread, If you're in Boston, you should look up a teacher named Kelly Johnson. He learns from ustad Shahid Parvez and 'm sure he could both help you with your tarab troubles as well as take you to the man himself

adunc069

Reply with quote  #10 
previous message for kathru boston man
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.