INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Mbaliw

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #1 
I’ll be on a trip to India this summer, spending some time in Delhi. About how much would Rikhi Ram’s Sitar’s cost? Assuming of course I haggle with them, as a foreigner what would I expect to pay? Either from Sanjay at Gole Market or Ajay in Connonaught Place.

Also a bit of a side note also. Does Rikhi Ram carry Vintage Sitars?
0
Nick Proctor

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 182
Reply with quote  #2 
Rikhi Ram’s Sitar’s WHAT ????
0
sason

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 134
Reply with quote  #3 
As far as I know, they don't keep vintage sitars.
About prices, you can contact them through their websites and get all the information you want.
0
Sillofthedoor

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 140
Reply with quote  #4 

buying RR off the shelf is not what most people recommend.  you need to go via a person who the maker respects, a teacher who as a relationship with them, perhaps, and get it made.

 

You probably know you are going to pay top dollar, so you want it to be worth the price.

 

0
raja ajay

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbaliw
I’ll be on a trip to India this summer, spending some time in Delhi. About how much would Rikhi Ram’s Sitar’s cost? Assuming of course I haggle with them, as a foreigner what would I expect to pay? Either from Sanjay at Gole Market or Ajay in Connonaught Place.

Also a bit of a side note also. Does Rikhi Ram carry Vintage Sitars?
0
raja ajay

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #6 
I was recently in Delhi and as I’m a beginning sitar student I decided to visit the Rikhi Ram music store. I decided to purchase a student model (1,080 dollars us), although I really wanted a professional however it cost double which was a bit above my budget at the time. When I got back my sitar teacher pointed out that the lower tumba had been damaged and repaired...possibly someone returned it and resold it? They may have thought I was buying it more for decoration rather than to actually play? Not really sure, but the sound quality is AWFUL, possibly from damage. I did zero research when I went to buy my sitar and I suggest you may want to do the same. By the way, I’m not defaming Rikhi Ram as they make fine instruments...was just a little disappointed that I spent so much. I ended up purchasing a very nice Khan style sitar from Kolkata from my sitar teacher. I thought Delhi was the place to find sitars, but great sitars can be found in Varanasi and Kolkata. I would just do some research before you buy, and before I bought my second sitar I made sure I heard it played and played it myself before I purchased it. If you want Rikhi Ram prices go to their website, it lists prices in US dollars...and sadly no haggling at RR. Prices are fixed! Also if you buy a sitar in India make sure it’s bubble wrapped very well. Even if it’s labeled “Fragile” I guarantee baggage handling tosses them around, as my sitar case was dented upon arrival! I’m not a sitar expert yet, however this was my experience. Good luck!
0
Nick Proctor

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 182
Reply with quote  #7 
Over a grand for a STUDENT MODEL ?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??! WHAT WHAT WHAT ?!?!?!

VARANASI is MY fave place as you can see on my facebook page !!!!

https://www.facebook.com/nick.proctor.50/photos?lst=1216086708%3A1216086708%3A1560802450

Nick aka trippymonkey
0
raja ajay

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proctor
Over a grand for a STUDENT MODEL ?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??! WHAT WHAT WHAT ?!?!?!

VARANASI is MY fave place as you can see on my facebook page !!!!

https://www.facebook.com/nick.proctor.50/photos?lst=1216086708%3A1216086708%3A1560802450

Nick aka trippymonkey
0
Nick Proctor

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 182
Reply with quote  #9 
Be almost cheaper to come over to me in the UK & buy one of my 'Hiren Roys' or 'Kanailals' !!!

MUCH better choice in my house in north England !!! H Roy India Sitar 2 (13).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (14).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (15).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (16).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (17).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (18).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (19).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (20).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (21).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (22).jpg  20190410_162050.jpg  20190410_162300.jpg  20190410_162307.jpg  20190410_162327.jpg  20190410_162405.jpg  20190410_163329.jpg  20190410_163355.jpg 

0
raja ajay

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #10 
Yes it was ridiculous! I don’t mind paying extra money for quality but Rikhi Ram just wasn’t within my budget. They have a beautiful Koh hi Noor (sic?) that was 5,000!!!!! It would have to play itself for me to spend that kind of cash!
0
raja ajay

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Proctor
Be almost cheaper to come over to me in the UK & buy one of my 'Hiren Roys' or 'Kanailals' !!!

MUCH better choice in my house in north England !!! H Roy India Sitar 2 (13).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (14).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (15).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (16).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (17).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (18).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (19).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (20).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (21).jpg  H Roy India Sitar 2 (22).jpg  20190410_162050.jpg  20190410_162300.jpg  20190410_162307.jpg  20190410_162327.jpg  20190410_162405.jpg  20190410_163329.jpg  20190410_163355.jpg 
0
raja ajay

Junior Member
Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #12 
BEAUTIFUL sitar!
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.