INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
madake

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi. This is my first post. İ live in Turkey.
İ would like to buy a sitar.
İ like Prem Joshua's sound and music style. İm a rock musician, guitar and flute player.
Which model sitars he use?
İ need help for buy a sitar.(500-600 USD)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SITAR-TEALWOOD-RAVISHANKHAR-STYLE-DOUBLE-TUMBA-WITH-FIBREGLASS-CASE-/261575160211?

What about this model?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Greetings ! Prem Joshua uses one of the "fusion" sitars - the shorter ones with the guitar gear tuners. I repaired one for him back in 2006. It was made by Rikhi Ram - the "Ovation Sitar". Today there are many copies of this sitar available on eBay or other sites. He might be using a full size gourd body sitar these days - don't know. Happy shopping and playing !

Reply with quote  #3 
I wouldn't buy anything on ebay from a seller whose feedback score is 88.9% - good sellers make sure customers are happy; if someone has a problem they fix it immediately in order to get good feedback. a feedback rating this low tells me that they 'take the money and run' instead of following up on the sale to make sure the buyer got what he wanted.
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #4 
You are absolutely correct and personally I will not buy from any ebay seller unless their rating is at least 98% positive. There are plenty of sellers who value their reputation enough to make sure their rating is top notch. GF
madake

Reply with quote  #5 
What do you prefer guys?
Where can i buy a good sitar?
madake

Reply with quote  #6 
İ would like to ask you something.
Why in USA international shipping charges is so expensive?
İ live in Turkey and USA to Turkey shipping charges is 400-500 USD! This is so expensive.
İndia to Turkey is only 100-110 USD shipping charges.
Whats the difference?
İ found good sitars in USA(RKS, Monoj Kumar Sardar, G Rosul etc...) but shipping is very expensive. So i cant take it.
Sitars good price in USA but shipping is very expensive for me. And i dont have enough money :/
gillo

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "musicslug"
I wouldn't buy anything on ebay from a seller whose feedback score is 88.9% - good sellers make sure customers are happy; if someone has a problem they fix it immediately in order to get good feedback. a feedback rating this low tells me that they 'take the money and run' instead of following up on the sale to make sure the buyer got what he wanted.
to be fair, that ebay seller has very good feedback with just a couple of complaints about slow shipping, otherwise there is only good feedback about the instruments...
Lars

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "madake"
What do you prefer guys?
Where can i buy a good sitar?
Send me an email info@sitar-tabla.com and I will hook you up with the right people.

Lars

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "madake"
İ would like to ask you something.
Why in USA international shipping charges is so expensive?
İ live in Turkey and USA to Turkey shipping charges is 400-500 USD! This is so expensive.
İndia to Turkey is only 100-110 USD shipping charges.
Whats the difference?
İ found good sitars in USA(RKS, Monoj Kumar Sardar, G Rosul etc...) but shipping is very expensive. So i cant take it.
Sitars good price in USA but shipping is very expensive for me. And i dont have enough money :/
The ebayers, etc. ship from India using the postal service. For a regular sized sitar it's a cheaper way to go. The problem in the US is that the size of the package is too large, they don't allow a regular sized sitar to be mailed and so the rates are for FedEx, etc. although on a regular sitar I think it's more than $500 to Turkey. Studio size sitars if packed right will be able to be mailed and it's about $140.

In India they still allow large packages and the funny thing is that you can RECEIVE an oversized package via mail in the US but you can ship one! Some of the larger cities in India are implementing dimensional restrictions now and you can't mail them too large. But the smaller areas are exempt to promote business. It won't last forever though once the airlines figure out they're not making money.

As for 'good' sitars I don't think Monoj Kumar Sardar are good, the bodies are good but the fitting is usually horrible. I've had to redo any that I've had here. And G. Rosul, just forget it....

Don't go by looks, you'll see a lot of instruments that look great but aren't fitted right. Imagine you have a Ferrari and you open up the hood and you see a Hyndai engine in it with 400,000 km on it. There are very few makers that do a good fitting and you're not going to find them on ebay usually unless it's a used one someone is selling. It's a big problem really, people discover sitar and get excited to play only to find out it's not working exactly the way its supposed to and they give up. In Turkey you can see the same problems with instruments like the Saz, very beautiful pieces made by the thousands in Izmir, etc. only the sound isn't too good. They are easier to fix though if the neck is straight.

Lars

Reply with quote  #10 
There a shop in Germany:

http://www.india-instruments.com/

It seems that they are selling good qualities sitars. Their shipping to Turkey should be much more reasonable. You can ask them if they have what you are looking for.
JRJ

Reply with quote  #11 
You know geographically you are closer to India than the US, so you might want to check out Shahidi: https://www.facebook.com/shahidali.sitarmaker
I got a sitar from him in a hand built box with hinges (also inside of a case, very well packed) that was relatively speaking still in tune. Shahid's english is not perfect but his willingness to communicate (and listen) about what you want is extremely good. And he is very fair. His sitars are beautiful and sound great.

jRj
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Send me an email info@sitar-tabla.com and I will hook you up with the right people.

Lars
Sounds like a good deal that. Give it a try pal! Rest assured, Lars instruments are made with great care.
madake

Reply with quote  #13 
Thanks for your interests guys.
İ think Naeem will make a good sitar for me. He says; it may take 2-3 weeks. İ was expecting take a longer time.
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #14 
He probably has the structures ready. Will only require polishing, fretting and peg fitting. Shouldn't take him long. Weather in India is pretty wet at the moment, doesn't help with polish drying. Allow another week, which is likily the case. You got Lars behind this, you're on winner their pal.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.