INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
tabliya

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings all,

Many years back I was fortunate to hear a recording of raag Kaunsi Kanhra played by the gifted sarodiya Prattyush Banerjee. It is one of the most extraordinary renditions of this raag that I have ever heard. Unfortunately that recording has never been released commercially and I can't seem to find any commercial recordings of this excellent musician. Does anyone out there have access to commercial or private recordings?

Thanks,
T.
aparajit

Reply with quote  #2 
Prattyush Banerjee (also fondly known as Pittush) is my gurubhai and I think Anirban DasGupta, guruji's son, may have some recordings of his. I will ask him when I meet him on the 20th this month as to whether he has this particular recording of his...and any other bootlegs for that matter!
arnabsarod

Reply with quote  #3 
There is a splendid Gurjri Todi by Prattyush that is floating around on the web. Try searching for "Prattyush Banerjee Sandip Chatterjee Sarod Santoor" on google. You will find two pages (I forget the name of the site). If you go to Prattyush's page, you'll hear Sandip's music, and vice versa. There is also a Miyan ki Malhar on the ITC-SRA website (past artists of the month) which is not among Prattyush's best recordings. Equally indifferent is the Shyam Kalyan released by WorldSpace radio.

The Kaunsi Kanada you are referring to is very good, but a recent rendition of Barwa in Kolkata was much more soulful. As far as (cleanliness of) technique is concerned (encompassing speed, clarity, left-right coordination and intonation), I believe Prattyush is presently the best sarod player in the world. His nickname is Pittu, btw.

Arnab
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.