INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Annakai

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello everyone, I hope all is well
my much beloved teacher is handing me over to one of the local sitarists here in Austin whom he accompanies so that I can begin my training to perform with her. In turn, I have been asked to play theka to keep laya in her classes at the Univ here in town.
i am new to accompanying both instrumentalists and vocalists with tabla and I am not afraid to say that ... well, i am skeered. but that aside, i was wondering if any of you can share with me some pretty basic prakar of teentaal. (i would love anything for any taal, but what i need most is teentaal.) i need to begin asap, but my teacher is currently unavailable to help me. that said, i will really appreciate anything anyone is willing to share with me.
aum shanti.

Reply with quote  #2 
this is a beautiful prakar :

+ Dha --- /Dhin--trKe/Dhin-Dhin/Dha - Ge-/
2 Dha --- /Dhin--trKe/Dhin-Dhin/Dha - Ge-/
0 Ta- ta tata/ tin -- trKe/tin - tin-/Ta - ke -/
3 Dha ge tr kt//Dhin--trKe/Dhin-Dhin/Dha tr kt/

+ Dha

The last matra of vibag 3 can vary it by

Dha Te te or Dha tr kt tk
Jamie

Reply with quote  #3 
Very nice. I would be tempted to substitute those 'ges' with 'tis', ti being 'tet' with the 2nd finger.

Jamie
Quote:
Originally Posted by "claudio"
this is a beautiful prakar :

+ Dha --- /Dhin--trKe/Dhin-Dhin/Dha - Ge-/
2 Dha --- /Dhin--trKe/Dhin-Dhin/Dha - Ge-/
0 Ta- ta tata/ tin -- trKe/tin - tin-/Ta - ke -/
3 Dha ge tr kt//Dhin--trKe/Dhin-Dhin/Dha tr kt/

+ Dha

The last matra of vibag 3 can vary it by

Dha Te te or Dha tr kt tk

scodoha

Reply with quote  #4 
Didn't he say "pretty basic prakar of teentaal" ? ? ?

Dha- Dhin- DhinGe DhaGe
DhaGe DhinGe Dhin- Dha-
Dha- tin- tinKe taKe
taKe DhinGe Dhin- Dha-

DhaGe Dhin- DhinGe DhaGe
Dha-Dhin- DhinGe DhaGe
DhaKe tin- tinKe taKe
ta- Dhin- DhinGe DhaGe
Annakai

Reply with quote  #5 
Great you guys, thanks!
Claudio, it's a very beautiful prakar, thank you for sharing it.
And thank you Jamie and Scodoha - for your variations.
by the way, ... the he's a she... :wink:
Thanks again

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Annakai"
Great you guys, thanks!
Claudio, it's a very beautiful prakar, thank you for sharing it.
And thank you Jamie and Scodoha - for your variations.
by the way, ... the he's a she... :wink:
Thanks again
No doubt about it, this forum is a terrific resource of first-hand knowledge from some very experienced players.
There are some other resources you should also look into:
David Courtney's book(s) "The Fundamentals of Tabla" is full of prakars, thekas, mukhras, mohoras and other pertinent information that would be very helpful to you. Other equally informative and highly regarded texts on the subject of tabla by other experienced players such as Aloke Dutta, Sadanand Naimpalli, Samir Chatterjee, Kurt Wegner are also available, all highly readable and easily obtained.
Obviously there is no substitute for a teacher, but there will be those times when you have a practical need, a question or a hunch, or your curiosity is simply overwhelming and you'll need to get the information yourself.
:wink:

A.

Reply with quote  #7 
.dha terekete dhin dha/ dha dha dhin dha/dha terekete tin taa/ta ta dhin dha
2.dha dhin terekete dhin/ dha dha dhin terekete/ta tin terekete tin/ta ta dhin terekete

3.dha dhin dhin dhadha/dhindhin dha dhindhin dha/ dha tin tin tata/dhindhin dha dhindhin dha

4.dhadha dhin dha dhindhin/terekete dhadhin dhindha terekete/dhadha tin ta tintin/terekete dhadhin dhindha terekete

5.dha dhin dhin dha/ dhadha sdha dhin terekete/ dha ti tin ta/dhadha sdha dhin terekete

6.dha terekete dhin terekete/ dhindhin dhadha dha dhin/dha terekete tin terekete/ dhindhin dhadha dha dhin

7.dha terekete dhin dha/ dha dhage dhin traka/ dha terekete tin ta/dhin traka dhin dha

best regards

some more 3taal thehkas for tabla lovers

1.dhadha sdha dhin dhadha/ dhin dha dhage terekete/ tintraka tina tata tina/ sdha dhin dhadha dhindha

2.dha traka dhin dhadha/ traka dhina sdha terekete/ ta traka ti tata/ ghiran dhadha ghiran dhadha

3.terekete dhin dha traka/ traka dhin dhin terekete/tin traka tina terekete/dhin traka dhin dha

hope you can try them out and let me know the result

regards

SADA
RevolvingSound

Reply with quote  #8 
very nice thank you Sada
Annakai

Reply with quote  #9 
Wow, thats a very generous reply. Thank you very much Sada.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.