INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #1 
I was wondering if any of you had some tips to share in playing with a Lehra machine.

I haven't practiced much with it - but recently have started to give it a go again...

AND I don't seem to be very good!!

When playing in teentaal I sometimes miss sum by a tiny bit or not always perfectly on time.
It's hard for me to maintain consistency through all the paltas I play.

1) I find 92 beats per minute a soft spot for my playing - maybe that's too fast to start with? Do I need to perfect it on slower pace before I speed up?
2) is hard practice the only solution - is there anything I am missing (any tips or tricks?)
3) is it critical to practice with a Lehra machine - I like to freestyle a lot - but maybe that's bad discipline as obviously my timing isn't fantastic as I am struggling playing with the machine.

How can I improve my playing with the Lehra machine ? Your help and input is much appreciated !

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #2 
I'm interested to hear some feedback on this post. I seem to have the same problem. I was starting to think that maybe my phone sort of freezes up for a fraction of a second while running the Lehra app I use. I know that I have had other apps freeze up very briefly on me while using them, assuming that my phone isn't great and possibly not a ton of free space on it.

I must say I'm guilty of freestyling also, despite my teacher telling me to use a metronome while I practice. Perhaps using a metronome helps to build the foundation we need before moving on to a Lehra?
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
I was wondering if any of you had some tips to share in playing with a Lehra machine.

1) I find 92 beats per minute a soft spot for my playing - maybe that's too fast to start with? Do I need to perfect it on slower pace before I speed up?
2) is hard practice the only solution - is there anything I am missing (any tips or tricks?)
3) is it critical to practice with a Lehra machine - I like to freestyle a lot - but maybe that's bad discipline as obviously my timing isn't fantastic as I am struggling playing with the machine.
I very much have a similar issue with keeping time/tempo/rhythm myself (It's a terrible dilemma... I love rhythms ... but can't keep rhythm properly to save my life!).

However, I am persuaded that the way towards improvement (at least for myself) is by doing some time/tempo/rhythm exercises that are independent of practicing tabla. One exercise I do (but not frequently enough) is the following (from Aloke Dutta's book):

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2549/alokeduttacounting.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It seems simple enough. Clap on each of the 4 matras while counting aloud the numbers. The second section with silent divisions is much more challending, especially the last 5. It's absolutely crucial that the clapping be completely even (like a metronome).

Jerry Leake also has some interesting resources and exercises designed to improve one's sense of rhythm:

http://www.rhombuspublishing.com/articles/harmonic_time.pdf

He calls these exercises designed to increase "harmonic time awareness". I find some of his exercises very difficult to do.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the info Pascal - I'll check it out - I think clapping and counting the beats will definitely help -

I thought I was the only one with the timing issue - especially when Swapanda and other performers make it look like a piece of cake ! !

I was very impressed with jerry leake's timing in some of his youtube videos - It was spot-on!

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.