INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
forum_user

Reply with quote  #1 
I am a relative beginner (been learning tabla for about 4 years), and would like to start practicing simple accompaniment at home.
My problem is that I am used to practicing with a lehera and I find it hard to play without the cues that the lehera provides.
Practicing with songs (which already have rhythmic support as tabla or anything else) poses the same problem.
Ideally, I would have a vocal singer at my beck and call, who would sit next to me, and sing while I learn to accompany him/her.

In the absence of somebody like this, what are my options?
Is there software that will help me with this?
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
Try find some songs on cd or something - and play along to that!
"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
forum_user

Reply with quote  #3 
I've been practicing with songs (which already have tabla in them). I find that the already-present tabla helps my tabla stay in rhythm.
I've tried accompanying hindustani vocal students once in a while - and it's a whole different ballgame - because there is no "other tabla" to guide me. I sometimes get a little lost, and have to be guided back to the sam with indication from the vocal teacher.
If there's songs available with tabla on one side and the singer on the other, and I can control the stereo so that the tabla can be cut off, that would be great.
Does anybody know of any such songs?
Thanks!
evening84

Reply with quote  #4 
Play with others. Seek out vocalists, instrumentalists - often students would be delighted to have a real-live Tabla player and it would be beneficial to both you and to them. Sing, hum along as you play. Feel the khali. Feel the sum. Feel the lead up to sum. Play along to pieces in various genres - classical, folk, jazz - whatever catches your fancy. Concentrate on the theka, the groove. Worry about ornamentation later.
Tabla11

Reply with quote  #5 
If you have Skype then sometimes, you might find someone who could sing with you at a convinient time. I know of new singers who want to practice with a live tabla player.
Failing that, a CD or a video would wok too.
Vivek

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
who could sing with you at a convinient time. I know of new singers who want to practice with a live tabla player.
Really sorry to sound like a nay-sayer, but this almost certainly will not work. Even on broadband connections the lag I typically experience on Skype is significant. It's not terrible, but there's a long enough delay that even clapping in unison with someone on the other end is impossible. I wish it worked better - I have a few tabla students whom I teach over Skype, and I am not able to use many of my typical teaching methods with them (playing along with them, speaking/clapping compositions with them, etc.)

My recommendation would be to practice along with a CD until it becomes very comfortable, then to find as many vocal students/teachers as you can and practice with them as much as possible.

- V -

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Vivek"
Quote:
who could sing with you at a convinient time. I know of new singers who want to practice with a live tabla player.
Really sorry to sound like a nay-sayer, but this almost certainly will not work. Even on broadband connections the lag I typically experience on Skype is significant. It's not terrible, but there's a long enough delay that even clapping in unison with someone on the other end is impossible. I wish it worked better - I have a few tabla students whom I teach over Skype, and I am not able to use many of my typical teaching methods with them (playing along with them, speaking/clapping compositions with them, etc.)

My recommendation would be to practice along with a CD until it becomes very comfortable, then to find as many vocal students/teachers as you can and practice with them as much as possible.

- V -
Regretably I have also experienced a similar time lag with skype, even though I also have broadband. This kind of precise synchronization is next to impossible to achieve with skype. What I wonder about, however, is whether or not google hangout is any better. I might experiment with that to see what happens.

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.