INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #1 
I have exclusively been playing on my 7inch tabla only for the last few month.

I whipped out the 5.25 inch tabla - and I'm just not comfortable playing on it - feel like there isn't enough room for my fingers

Dare I say - my playing is a lot better on the big tabla

Should I just stick to playin the big tabla? How necessary is it to play on small tablas? I feel the small tabla should be left for accompaniment playing mainly

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
I can add that however playing fast relas does sound nice on the smaller tabla - and it's easier to play it fast
"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #3 
I can add that however playing fast relas does sound nice on the smaller tabla - and it's easier to play it fast
deeplib77

Reply with quote  #4 
The Kali 4 tabla that is a G# tabla is know to have been the best for traditional tabla performances.
However when practicing I would recommend to use a bigger size tabla.The following is my understanding.

1. Playing fast take a lot of effort thus making it faster to play it on a smaller tabla.
2. The small tablas sometime just get irritating when played for a very long time at a solo concert.

However you need to practice on a smaller tabla as well to get the hang of it.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #5 
I'd say, from the very first moment you find uncomfortable to play in the smaller tabla... go play on it for some time again :wink:
Then go back to the bigger one if you prefer it, but don't stick to it forever.
I like to rotate my tablas and try not to get used to a particular size. However I play less on 7" and 5.25" dayans.
I have to admit playing a big tabla is a great pleasure and am actually thinking on looking for a bigger one to be tuned at Bb for accompanying surbahar, that would be so cool.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #6 
Good points guys -

I guess you are right Acelga - never to lose touch playing on any size - and keep rotating - ! (Even if you feel like sticking to your favourite tabla!)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.