INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
S.Cutshall

Reply with quote  #1 
I've been doing a fair amount of practicing lately--having started playing tabla again and I am experiencing a left foot issue...

Over the past week I am practicing about 3-4 hours per day in two sessions of 1.5 to two hours each.
When sitting my left hip/thigh begins hurting a bit and my left foot falls asleep pretty good too... I'll usually bring my legs up toward my torso and take a small break or take my left leg out in front of the tabla or switch my legs from left over right to right over left. It helps a bit.
I've also tried small pillows under my left hip & knee--helps a little too...

but-

I noticed two days ago, when finishing practice my left foot felt half asleep (tingling, slight pins & needles) much longer than usual (it cleared up after many more hours than usual) and after yesterday's session I had very little tingling (good!) but when I awoke this morning my left foot (a couple toes and pretty much the entirety of the bottom of my foot) feels half asleep with a mix of very light tingling and kind of a generalized numbness (not so good!).

I have tried sitting on the floor with and without padding or cushions, thin and thick pillows, etc--I have also been doing stretches (particularly the Butterfly stretch) to aid in more flexibility to hopefully alieviate this...
I am 5 feet 10 inches, weigh 165 pounds, very active with walking & bicycling and do a far amount of stretching (if this helps with anyone's suggestions).

Anyone else have this happen to them regularly or when getting into serious practice? Any suggestions?
Will the numbness let up?
Help!!

Blessings-

-Scott

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, sorry to hear about your left leg and foot tingling. You didn't share your age but I assume you are much younger than me ( 60s ). I do not believe it is an arterial circulation compromise. Thank God, that would be a serious issue at your age. Without knowing much history I conjecture it is your left sciatic nerve that is pinched in the low back that radiates to the hip and left foot. It is a referred pain or tingling. I would suggest you try to do some low back exercises ( check online for physical therapy for lumbosacral radiculopathy) and in the interim try to play sitting on a chair or even standing !! Check Bhilaj playing ( White India) on a chair because of the knee issues! if it continues to bother you beyond 4-6 weeks or worsens over the next few days , you would need to see your doctor. I'm sure every thing will be alright.
S.Cutshall

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "rch"
Hi, sorry to hear about your left leg and foot tingling. You didn't share your age but I assume you are much younger than me ( 60s ). I do not believe it is an arterial circulation compromise. Thank God, that would be a serious issue at your age. Without knowing much history I conjecture it is your left sciatic nerve that is pinched in the low back that radiates to the hip and left foot. It is a referred pain or tingling. I would suggest you try to do some low back exercises ( check online for physical therapy for lumbosacral radiculopathy) and in the interim try to play sitting on a chair or even standing !! Check Bhilaj playing ( White India) on a chair because of the knee issues! if it continues to bother you beyond 4-6 weeks or worsens over the next few days , you would need to see your doctor. I'm sure every thing will be alright.
Thank you!! This is great news to read as I am in day #3 of it still being partially numb yet tingling. Yes, it seems to be the bottom/toes and ends of toes (particularly great toe-big toe)/heel and lower outside calf-all, left leg/foot. My wife is a RN and agrees with you that it is definitely not an arterial circulation issue but in fact some type of pinched nerve... and interestingly, re: your post, I was thinking it might just be emanating from my left side lower back because I can feel a little discomfort there as well as my left hip and sort of the area near my left IT band in the outside of my thigh.
I am 51 years old by the way.
I will look up those exercises as soon as I finish typing this for sure, thank you, and my wife is trying to get me in to see a highly recommended chiropractor either today or Wednesday.

Thank you again for your thoughtful reply...

Blessings!

Reply with quote  #4 
Day #6 of the partially dead left foot.

Went and saw a very good chiropractor two days ago and he feels it's not sciatica but instead the common proneal nerve (I guess because my numbness is specific to the underside/ball/great toe--and not on top of my foot)... so he wants me to see an acupuncturist, which I'll be doing this Saturday.

To try and alieviate this I've been practicing -to some degree of success- with my left leg semi-straight out in front of me while sitting. Not traditional for sure but the best I can do for now -- lest I end up destroying my foot.

I'll probably, owing to my "from the west, caucasian, sissy boy" status, end up needing to figure out a decent and practical way to have my tabla on a stand or table to split the difference between some sitting on the floor and some non-traditional methods for extended practice sessions.

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi
Common Peroneal n. is a branch of Sciatic nerve. IMHO I would very strongly suggest you see your Primary care Doc or a Neurologist or Orthopedics first before trying any alternative treatments on your own. Your statement DAY#6 PARTIALLY DEAD FOOT really concerns me ! Are you able to walk on your toes or heels??
S.Cutshall

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes, I can walk on the heel and toes of that foot. Also, no Foot Drop Syndrome as well. It's just a pretty strange mix of numbness and tingling.
My wife is an RN and she's keeping a close eye on things--going to try the acupuncture but if nothing avails itself soon, I am off to our GP.
Thank you for your reply and concerns--Blessings!

Reply with quote  #7 
While we're on the subject of foot-related topics: do other players have the experience that over months of consistent riyaaz (say 2 sessions of 1.5 hrs daily), they get bony bumps on the sides of their feet? It seems related to the phenomenon of "tailor's bunion" but at a different place on the foot, but I'm getting a bit nervous that either I'm doing something wrong posturally or that I'm underestimating whether this is a big deal.

-C
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.