INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #31 
i love the Arvind Parekh! I agree about the exposition. his playing has such a nice flow that remains constant through the entire performance. thank you for posting!

Question about the Vilayat Khan recording- any idea why esnips directs me to a screen that allows me to reset my password when I click on download? After I do this it just brings me back to home and sends me an email notification, and I can never actually get to the file. This did not happen when accessing the Arvind Parekh or any other file. Any insight is appreciated.
povster

Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "CheesecakeTomek"
i love the Arvind Parekh! I agree about the exposition. his playing has such a nice flow that remains constant through the entire performance. thank you for posting!

Question about the Vilayat Khan recording- any idea why esnips directs me to a screen that allows me to reset my password when I click on download? After I do this it just brings me back to home and sends me an email notification, and I can never actually get to the file. This did not happen when accessing the Arvind Parekh or any other file. Any insight is appreciated.
Yes, "flow" is a perfect description for the Arvind Parekh.

As regards the Vilayat Jog, I do see a weird thing. It has a COMMUNITIES: Marathon and Trialholon listed under it, as if it were part of an esnips community. No clue how it got there, as I loathe running! This evening when I get home I will delete the current one and re-upload it. I will also be uploading the Vilayat/Shujaat Bagasri with a young teen Shujaat.

Nagawoman

Reply with quote  #33 
Big thanks for the Parikh recording, excellent.
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #34 
Hi Michael,

thanks for Parikh upload, it was great listening pleasure. Have to say, it's a different kind of Jogkauns to the 'normal' going around though. No shuddh nishad and very top heavy in Malkauns. Scale-wise, it is same as Nandkauns. What say you?

Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan
Hi Michael,

thanks for Parikh upload, it was great listening pleasure. Have to say, it's a different kind of Jogkauns to the 'normal' going around though. No shuddh nishad and very top heavy in Malkauns. Scale-wise, it is same as Nandkauns. What say you?
If I said "something is not kosher" would you hate me in the morning?

I must re-listen to this. For some reason this particular piece (along with a few others) defy my ability to objectively assess. A few times I have tried sitting down to listen and deconstruct it but to no avail. Within a few seconds I forget my intentions, my brain stops working and it just takes me over. Does that sound new age or what?

Jog itself is interesting in the use of nishad. Some use both komal and shuddha although the more "popular" rendition uses only komal. But yes, Nandkauns would be a real Jog/Malkauns combo with the konal ni and Jogkauns would stress the shuddha ni.

Interesting thing is I have some other Arvind Parrekh CDs and they just do not sound like this style.

jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #36 
Just listened to Vilayat Khan's Jogkauns. It is pretty much the same as Arvind Parikh, komal nishad and very Malkauns based.

The 'popular' (to use your term) Jogkauns is Chandrakauns based.

I have a couple of recordings of Nandkauns, one a beautiful khyal performance by Parveen Sultana, another a heavy ghazal sung by Ustad Sarahang. They both sound very much like the Imadkhani conception of Jogkauns. Perhaps there is some variance in the chalan. I find the Imadikhani's downplay the Jog elements more than the Nandkaunsers.

Reply with quote  #37 
Greetings Povster -

I came across an open-reel tape I have of the UVK concert, 5/9/78, at Baird Auditorium. My notes have jog, bageshri(with Shujaat), Pahari and Bhatiyale thumree, Avtar Singh tabla.
Hope these notes may fill in some details, and once I get my tape deck operating again I'll check it out and share as it may compliment your recording.

H
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.