INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
Just came across this on youtube:

Didn't know about that type of sitar. Seems be tuned higher (to F) than an Indian sitar. Also playing technique is different. Three fingers and less meend and more krintans. Also the sounds is less closed. Anyone know more on this sitar? Can't find anything on internet.
coyootie

Reply with quote  #2 
thanks so much for posting this!!!
I'll be damned, I've been into ethnomusicology/ICM for over 40 years. never saw or heard of this type of sitar!!! maybe one of the best things in life is learning about New Stuff!!
note the gapped fret arrangement.that is Central Asian I think in origin. overall it seems related to Afghan or Persian types of setars as far as sound and technique.the video was shot in a workshop,it must be the instrument maker's.
if anyone gets up to Kashmir, it should be possible to track down.another great expedition for somebody.
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
Not sure if he is the maker or a 'famous' local player of the instrument. But there are many other videos of this sitar. Called pothwari sher or sazani sitar. Like you I had never heard of it. Thought I knew most type of instruments but somehow totally missed this one. Sounds really nice I think. One should almost think that Ravi Shankar must have heard this instrument and copied some of the krintans they are doing.

here are two other videos:

coyootie

Reply with quote  #4 
seems that the performer's son is the instrument maker.
I saw a few other vids of players. it's mostly quite folksy tunes played in a limited range of middle to high Sa- maybe that's why there's not so many frets below middle Sa. Meends are minimal, but it seems to vary from player to player and some of the other instruments sound much more like Hindustani sitars.
some of the sitars have flat backs.
too bad they don't let any women enjoy this music - did you see women in any of the vids.oh well.
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #5 
Interesting stuff!
I know the chap in the first video Ramazan also known as Ustad to some. He is a maker and player. He played sitar for 30/40 yrs with the same singer and when he died he quit playing. He makes pothawari sitars.

The singer usually 4 couplets in total, and between the first two, a small instrumental piece is included,on completion the singing is passed over to the singer. Sitar is usually played in kafi thaat or asawari thaat.

It's music just made up over the years. Very popular in the Pothwar and Azad Kashmir parts of Pakistan. Used to be a Sufi kind of music, now u get the drunkards mostly and the instrumentalists get well paid.
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi, all: Thank you for both the post & replies: nice read.

Judging by the above reply & the neck decal, it's likely the person (
Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #7 
I'm the man for this! It shall be explained. Probably need to make a video in doing so, please bear with.

I've got 2 messages in my inbox, but I've reached 50 in my inbox, how do I empty my inbox to allow more message access? Pleease.
povster

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bakersbites786"
I'm the man for this! It shall be explained. Probably need to make a video in doing so, please bear with.

I've got 2 messages in my inbox, but I've reached 50 in my inbox, how do I empty my inbox to allow more message access? Pleease.
Bakers - go into your inbox and you will see a blank square to the right of to each message.
Click on the ones you don;t want to put and X in that square.
Go to the bottom and you will see a pulldown menu that says "Mark important/unimportant"
Click the down arrow and you will see Delete marked
Then click Go to delete

If you want to clear all of them right below that Go is a "Mark all". Clicking that will select all the messages. Then just change to Delete Makred and click Go.

Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #9 
Thanks Povster.
Just need to figure out that panini and ICM connection.
povster

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Thanks Povster.
err.. Pa Ni Ni ops:

Bakersbites786

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Povster.
ops: ops: ops: ops:
Feel like a proper 24 carat dipstick now.

Being looking at that for awhile, just couldn't figure it out.
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Quote:
Thanks Povster.
err.. Pa Ni Ni ops:
I'd always assumed it was a reference to the Indian grammarian Pāṇini, lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C4%81%E1%B9%87ini

David
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #13 
I missed this thread first time around...

Very interesting instrument and very interesting style, I have never been a student of Central Asian music, but this seems a bit of a "missing link" between more conventional Indian sitar music and the music of slightly further west/north. The eschewing of meend, the 3+ fingers used on the left hand...also on some of the slower sections he obviously uses what one can only call Western style vibrato. I'll cop to this not being my favourite style of sitar but it is mesmerizing in its way, and utterly new to me. My 6 year old daughter just came into the room and started dancing to it...
chrisitar

Reply with quote  #14 
It does sort of "connect the dots" between hindustani and persian/central asian music
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.