INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #16 
Having said all that, I could be wrong too.
I am no expert. 
I just love sitar design, and find it all fascinating. 

Hiren Roy sitars were made over many decades, and were made over time by Hiren Roy, and later by Himangshu Roy, and Barun Roy.
The sons did tend to keep in the family style, but certainly some small differences can be found. 

The genuine Hiren Roys do tend to ooze a certain level of quality and solid design that tend to separate them from lesser makers sitars. 
The same is true for the other top makers. 
Their instruments are just a notch finer in all regards. 
Not that they didn't make a dog or two, but even the dogs tended to look great. 

The truth is that each sitar is hand crafted by eye, and there are always differences. 
For me, when I look at the sitar that Trippy posted, I see a nicely made sitar, but it is not Hiren Roy to my eye. 
mizrable

Reply with quote  #17 
Hey fellas!
I bought a sitar from Tomek in 2014 that was a supposedly early 80’s hiren half carving. It had a brass tailpiece and rose shaped pegs.. If i remember correctly I think he said he bought it from Nick and it got damaged in the shipping.. I dont have any pics of the instrument, and since im away from it for the next month i cant take any but it’s possible Nick or Tomek documented this sitar. Yall have got me curious if mine is a fake! ( i d still love it the same if it was i promise!)
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizrable
Hey fellas!
I bought a sitar from Tomek in 2014 that was a supposedly early 80’s hiren half carving. It had a brass tailpiece and rose shaped pegs.. If i remember correctly I think he said he bought it from Nick and it got damaged in the shipping.. I dont have any pics of the instrument, and since im away from it for the next month i cant take any but it’s possible Nick or Tomek documented this sitar. Yall have got me curious if mine is a fake! ( i d still love it the same if it was i promise!)

Every sitar is different. 
You shouldn't question your sitar in absentia. 
When you get home, take some pics, and put them up here. 
It is always good to see different sitars. 

Even if this isn't a Hiren Roy, it looks like a nice sitar. 
Doesn't have to be a Hiren Roy to sound good. 
One of the most awesome sitars I have played was a very plain old sitar from Lahore. 
It was a bit sloppy looking, but the sound was totally angelic and amazing. 
Who knows. 

I suppose the name only really matters if you are collecting and want to get one of all the name makers. 
I collect instruments, and for sitars I want to eventually have a Kanai Lal and Brother sitar, surbahar, and Rudra Veena, a Hiren Roy Sitar and Surbahar, a Mohan Singh sitar, and Gurdial Singh sitar
Maybe a few others. 
I already have a very unique Hiren Roy and a couple of Naskars, so I am on my way!! 😉
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.