INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jmain

Reply with quote  #1 
I live in the US and have been researching portable harmoniums to be used by my wife while teaching yoga classes and when we want to join some kirtan groups informally. The Bina 23B seems to be one of the most popular for kirtan / yoga.

I see that AACM (sold out at the moment) carries them. I also see that DMS has a very similar portable harmonium (Signature 23 or Tilak 23 models) I could get through Keshav. I've heard great things about the DMS harmoniums and I've seen/heard a number of people playing the Bina.

Please feel free to comment. Thanks in advance for continuing educate me.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
Ask Lars...I think he has some coming....

Reply with quote  #3 
Does he carry one of the two?
Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
I don't have a similar model to that at the moment, I have a non-collapsible comparable version that's still portable but don't container ship so it's a little more.
I'd say if Keshav has the Signature 23 that would be your best bet. DMS harmoniums are nice for the price.

Lars

Rain City Music

Reply with quote  #5 
Lars,
Thanks for the response. She is pretty set on collapsible one, but needs some more time figuring out bellows, feel and tone. If she makes her decision soon I'll check with Keshav. She may be a bit, so I'll check with you as well.

Thanks again,
Jesse
Bruce

Reply with quote  #6 
The AACM Store has just received our long awaited Bina shipment. It is one of the best in some years. Yes, it is true that the quality is inconsistent with these Delhi harmoniums, both DMS and BIna. We at the AACM Store do whatever it takes to bring them to our standard before we sell them. We spend up to 2 or three hours tuning and prepping each one. If they don't ever reach our standard, we sell them at a discount with a clear explanation as to why they are discounted. I can only hope and assume that other dealers do likewise.

Newcomers here should be aware that dealers have long used this forum to push their products. People who are badmouthing one brand often have a vested interest in selling another brand.

jmain

Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the heads up, Bruce. I really appreciate it.
Djinn Fizz

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bruce"
The AACM Store has just received our long awaited Bina shipment. It is one of the best in some years. Yes, it is true that the quality is inconsistent with these Delhi harmoniums, both DMS and BIna. We at the AACM Store do whatever it takes to bring them to our standard before we sell them. We spend up to 2 or three hours tuning and prepping each one. If they don't ever reach our standard, we sell them at a discount with a clear explanation as to why they are discounted. I can only hope and assume that other dealers do likewise.

Newcomers here should be aware that dealers have long used this forum to push their products. People who are badmouthing one brand often have a vested interest in selling another brand.
True true. Then again don't rule out the possibility that people are just offering their honest opinion. As for me, when I posted previously on this topic, I said the "Indian" shops (ie: shops in India or Indian run shops in the UK) cannot be relied on to do the necessary. AACMC does not IMHO fall into that category, as it is neither in India or run by Indians, and is reputed to work to a higher standard.

Seems to be the norm with most instrument makers, that they should in
general be inconsistent. Still it says something about Binas that they can be
the best ones ever, and still require two or more hours of work to be
at a saleable standard, and still potentially be found not good enough
to sell at full price.
Shaun

Reply with quote  #9 
Just spotted this thread while asking about harmoniums myself. I'm a newcomer to the harmonium, but if it's any help I just bought a well-used Bina 23B and am very impressed with the tonal quality. The tuning is quite good, though not perfect. It's very light and portable and this one is in full working order despite being a few decades old and having been hiked around India by it's former owner, so they seem to be pretty robust. Seems loud enough, keys are pretty noisy though.

Reply with quote  #10 
German based harmoniums are also very good for kirtans. It would be fair enough if you can try those harmoniums.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.