INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Stephen.bansuri

Reply with quote  #1 
I only have a few books so far on ICM but have at last got a copy if ragapedia. I think it will be very useful,but there are a few questions that itmppses with which I would like help. It is quite prescriptive about saying that some ragas have poorvang precedence and others and others utterang and says that one needs to know which of these is the case for any given raga. But then in the catalogue of ragas gives no indication of whiich is which or how to work this out. Any suggestions gratefully received. Actually of the books that I do have all suffer from real consistency innapproach and I have to expect thismow. It is not that the subject matter is impenetrable just that explanations are not always as clear as they might be.
korizeugma

Reply with quote  #2 
To my knowledge poorvang or uttarang dominance applies only to certain ragas. The most commonly cited example of uttarang dominant raga is Sohini in the Marwa thaat. Others that come to mind are Adana in the Asavari group, Basant in the Poorvi group and possibly Hameer in the Kalyan group. The larger question is to what extent one can rely on texts to research a particular raga. In my opinion, a starting point is to attend lec-dems such as the following by Pt. Ajoy Chakraborty.

Stephen.bansuri

Reply with quote  #3 
Of course what you suggest is the best way but suchectures are unheard of in some areas will study the link very carefully. Of course the joy of thisnsort of precedence for the Bansuri is that it Mimosen theproblem of meend from ma to pa.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.