INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Stephen David

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi!

I got a copy of Sandeep Bagchee's "NAD - Understanding Raga Music" from Lars last week. Its already proved to be invaluable.

I've been practicing thaats for various ragas, and improvising some on those. Also, I've got a buncha other books (Ravi, Courtney/Koumounduri, Keesee, Alford) and have been practicing the excercises in those books.

But the Bagchee book has all kinds of tips and stuff not found in other books, including Raga Pakads (catch-phrases) and various important or signature phrases. This has made my practices much more interesting and actually start to sound like music, as opposed to just fooling around.

The book isn't cheap ($36), but its pretty thick and densely packed with tons of great info, so its a great deal. It goes way beyond the basics of just learning sitar. I can see this book will be useful for many years to come.

Anyway, just wanted to give a plug to other "newbies" for an incredibly useful reference book available at raincitymusic.

As an aging baby boomer, I had to also pick out "Norwegian Wood" and "Within You, Without You.' I think I got them both sounding really nice. A couple of "iffy" parts I still need to work on, but they both sound pretty decent.

Only had this sitar a week, but am having tons of fun, and I think I am picking it up a lot quicker than I originally did guitar. I certainly couldnt play anything but a few chords the first week I got my guitar.

Cheers!
Stephen
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Will look into that book...I need to dive into learning the ragas. I have a firm understanding of the thaats and the sargam, and am slowly inching out of teental (the other tals are trickier for me, teental is my comfort zone with its western 4x4 format).

I too couldn't stay away from tinkering with Norwegian Wood...its just one of those things that comes out on a sitar in lighter moments. And I too am a bit surprised at how quickly I'm coming along...years of guitar playing have certainly helped. However, I also have a feeling when my teacher comes back in town, I will have plenty of bad habits in need of correction.

Had a silly song in my head this morning (Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby) and decided to translate into sargam notation:
'P 'P 'P 'M 'P 'D 'P 'M 'P G G R S 'D S N S N S R N
'P 'P 'P 'M 'P 'D 'P 'M 'P m 'N G R 'D S 'N 'D 'P G
P P M P D P G S P M m G G g G m G r 'D G g R
'P 'P 'P 'M 'P 'D 'P 'M 'P P P m G D D D P R G S

Mental exercises like that, although ridiculous, are helping me really start to think in the language of ICM.
Stephen David

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
Mele Kalikimaka by Bing Crosby

Yes, I remember that song -- think I have it on some old Christmas CD. How fun!

That reminds me, the other day when I was doing some "serious" thaat practice ... suddenly I found myself playing "Frere Jacque". :roll:

Too much!

Stephen
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
I found a used (probably somewhat battered) copy of this online for rather cheap, which is on its way to me! Really understanding raga is a definite "next hurdle" for me, so I'm eager to get what I can in information and understanding before the guru (who tours and is rarely local) is back in town to correct all my mistakes...
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #5 
Working my way through this...indeed, an excellent book, so much to absorb. The different sort of ornamentations for example, eg gamak, are obvious now as I listen.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #6 
If I can add another suggestion, the same author's "Shruti, A Listener's Guide to Hinddustani Music" goes a step further and has a heap of recorded performances which are discussed in some detail. If you enjoy and get a lot of benefit from Nad you'll love Shruti.

The only criticism possible of this is that there are not accompanying CDs of the performances.

However, for the unscrupulous and dishonest practically all the performances are available. I think in an instance like this some disregard of performers' rights and copyright is justifiable. If there is any interest I will post the necessary material for download.
Stephen David

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"
If I can add another suggestion, the same author's "Shruti, A Listener's Guide to Hinddustani Music"
Thanks! I will surely look into that book as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"
If there is any interest I will post the necessary material for download.
I surely wouldn't get too upset if you did this! It is all for "educational purposes", right?
:wink:

Stephen
ragamala

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Stephen

I surely wouldn't get too upset if you did this! It is all for "educational purposes", right?

Stephen
Absolutely. It's not like we'd enjoy the experience
Greg

Reply with quote  #9 
indeed it is a good book!
ragamala

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Stephen

Stephen
I finally got round to assembling/uploading the files - please see topic Shruti in general section.

Some perfs well worth a listen even if you haven't got the book.

Alan
Stephen David

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Alan!

Stephen
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.