INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Acelga

Reply with quote  #1 
I know it
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
I know it
My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
va4leo

Reply with quote  #3 
You can get by with 11m on a Baayan and 10m on a Daaya...but I usually add a meter on each just in case!

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks guys, I think I will go for 10.5 and 11.5. just to play safe. I don
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #5 
Technique that may make a little logical sense than accepting the lord Internet.

From the top rim of the tabla to the bottom ring, using your straps go 33 times the length and cut.

Go 33 if you are experienced. Go 34 or 35 if you are inexperienced and can afford some waste. Take the middle, technical road and go 34.75 times the length.

Same techique for the baya.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "hbajpai"
Technique that may make a little logical sense than accepting the lord Internet.

From the top rim of the tabla to the bottom ring, using your straps go 33 times the length and cut.

Go 33 if you are experienced. Go 34 or 35 if you are inexperienced and can afford some waste. Take the middle, technical road and go 34.75 times the length.

Does not the lord internet know all!!? lol

Being too hasty (as usual) I copied and pasted not quite enough ... the fuller quote was....
Quote:
37 1/2 foot (11.5 meter) length fits all standard drums with extra left over[
i.e. extra for the ring if necessary presumably.

In any case, hbajpai is quite right. It makes more logical sense to do exactly as he suggest. It's interesting to note that, much as I generally like and appreciate the internet as an invaluable resource, it can occasionally have it's downside, given that it makes information so easily and almost effortlessly available, it can sometimes shortcircuit a more straightforward common sense logical approach. I'm actually doubly embarassed in that I used to teach logic and critical thinking many moons ago! ops:

The larger point about the "lord internet" was recently nicely illustrated when students were told about the "endangered tree octopus" and were led to this particular seemingly accurate website:

http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Apparently the vast majority of student later quizzed about this "tree octopus" never challenged the very idea of such a thing, that from common sense logical point of view (and a bit of truly basic marine biology) should have been evidently absurd and clearly a hoax of one kind or another.

So hbajpai's quip about the "lord internet" is a point well taken.

Pascal
p.s. what is a "pot-tabla"?

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:

Hey hbajpai, good idea. I will see what numer I get by making this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
I don´t throw old pudis unless they are split or ruined. I look for a pot of the proper size (less than 1€) and put the pudi there, usually with very good results! The only problem is, the pots I find are very short so getting the proper tension is tricky. I usually am happy getting 3 tones lower than the intended. Fine-tuning is hard too. If someday I find a way to tune this fine, I will try to make a compact tabla-tarang for experimenting. For this I can even use worse pudis, if open TUN still sounds

(I wanted to post a pic but I get the message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.")
pbercker

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Acelga"
Quote:

Hey hbajpai, good idea. I will see what numer I get by making this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
I don´t throw old pudis unless they are split or ruined. I look for a pot of the proper size (less than 1€) and put the pudi there, usually with very good results! The only problem is, the pots I find are very short so getting the proper tension is tricky. I usually am happy getting 3 tones lower than the intended. Fine-tuning is hard too. If someday I find a way to tune this fine, I will try to make a compact tabla-tarang for experimenting. For this I can even use worse pudis, if open TUN still sounds

(I wanted to post a pic but I get the message "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.")
Ok, that makes sense about the "pot-tabla" - i.e. flower-pot tabla! About the pics, I've gotten that message as well, so I just use imageshack. Upload to it, and then they provide you with the link to coppy and paste for forum pictures. Be sure to use the 640x480 format on imageshack to properly size your picture. It's very easy really.

pb

Acelga

Reply with quote  #9 
Not sure about the size and can
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #10 
9.5 meters for small dayans with height of 10.5", 10 meters for 11" height dayans, and 10.5 meters for 11.5" height Large dayans.
11 meters for standard brass/Stainless steel Bayan with 9" diameter, and 10.5 meters for very small bayans of 8.5" diameter.
Professional quality bayan, with curvy shape require 11.5 meters of straps.

-U
Acelga

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Upendra for your detailed reply.

I just wanted to add here that for my clay bayan of 10" I needed almost 12 meters. If someone has one of these, use 12m.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.