INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello all,

My name is ben, and i am medical student from the states currently in Vellore, India doing a medical rotation. I am deeply passionate about music and playing all kinds of instruments, so now that I am in India, I am excited at the opportunity to purchase a good sitar to learn to play and enjoy its sound...so, if anyone can help guide me, I would be so grateful.
1. I cannot spend much over 6000 Rp. (very tight budget)
2. There is a musical shop here in Vellore, and they have two sitars made by "Monsal Bros." (I think that's whats written at the top of the neck) the wood pegs slip a bit but it sounds cool. I think the instrument comes from Pune, India if that helps anyone.
3. I am able to make it to Chennai (Madras) if anyone has suggestions for me there...maybe even Bangalore.

thanks for reading...hope you can help.

peace
ben
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, Ben.
If you get to Pune with a sitar, I'll be glad to look it over for you. For Rs, 6,000 don't expect too much, though. When would you likely be in this area if you could make it ??? Cheers! Tony Karasek

Reply with quote  #3 
Tony is right. Even if you were a dealer and spoke the local dialect - you would only end up with a piece of firewood for that kind of money. Vellore is a great place for art and culture. But being the south - it's not a city where you will be likely to find ANY decent N. Indian instruments. You are in the wrong part of India for sitar buying. If you were looking for a mridangam or a Tanjore veena or nadaswaram or a kanjira, you could find something nice. Incease your budget and get yourself up to Calcutta. For Rs 8000 you can get something you won't throw in the trash when you get home. If you're heading through Delhi - try Inni Singh at DMS and he'll hook you up with a good starter instrument. I know how it is when traveling in India on a budget. You get used to staying in hotels for Rs 150 and nickle-and-diming the the rickshaw-wallahs over a few annas overcharge. But really. . . if you're committed to an unrealistic budget - you will only end up cheating yourself. I get folks coming in my shop all the time with junk sitars, always regretting that they wasted their opportunity to get a good one while they were still in India. This forum is filled with guys who would kill to be in your position right now. Take advantage of it while you can. And have a dosa for me!
Cheers,
Keshav
Amerikon

Reply with quote  #4 
Keshav and Tony are far more knowledgable about these things than I am, but, back in November, I got a pretty good sitar in Chandigar for Rs5500. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it's good enough for a beginner. When I got it home I didn't even have to do extensive set-up work on it, I only needed to tune the strings. I know you're on the other side of the country but the key is that you can get a playable sitar in your pricerange. Just remember that it will probably cost a boatload to ship the sitar back to the States, probably more than the price of the sitar itelf.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.