INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
bobster

Reply with quote  #1 
My finger just won't slide on the main string and is holding back my riyaz.

I have polished up a new string with rust-remover paste(Autosol).

Normally use coconut oil - Parachute brand - which works most of the time. I have considered that it might be caused by dry fingers after showering but this theory hasn't been conclusively proven. Sweaty fingers also might be a problem - again no definite proof.

Tried WD40 - bad move. The string sang out like a violin as I slid my finger along to apply a minute amount to it. Persevered with it for a day then gave up.

Back to coconut oil after cleaning off the WD40 - problem is worse than it was before.

Please help.
element-82

Reply with quote  #2 
Have you tried a new string? Wd40 is my fav, but I use very little and only if my fingers start squeeking. It does clean up the string too.

Pb

Quote:
Originally Posted by "bobster"

I have polished up a new string with rust-remover paste(Autosol).

Normally use coconut oil - Parachute brand - which works most of the time. I have considered that it might be caused by dry fingers after showering but this theory hasn't been conclusively proven. Sweaty fingers also might be a problem - again no definite proof.

Tried WD40 - bad move. The string sang out like a violin as I slid my finger along to apply a minute amount to it. Persevered with it for a day then gave up.

Back to coconut oil after cleaning off the WD40 - problem is worse than it was before.

Please help.

bobster

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "element-82"
Have you tried a new string? Wd40 is my fav, but I use very little and only if my fingers start squeeking. It does clean up the string too.

Pb

Yes, as I said in my question, its a new polished string. WD40 actually acted like rosin, making the string squeak like a violin when I slid my finger along even with a tiny amount - just enough to wet my fingertip.
daz199

Reply with quote  #4 
try some KY JELLY

povster

Reply with quote  #5 

Interestingly, that happened to me maybe 2-3 weeks ago. It was horrible! I wiped down the string and replaced the oil (corn oil for the nonce) and it actually got worse. Fortunately for me, this was fairly close to end of day for me and the next day, things were back to normal.

Let me ask, how are you groove lines? Are you breaking in a new groove or is the groove shifting to a different position? Because when this happened to me I was also working on a new groove.

Perhaps it really is caused by the state of the callouses.

Anonymous

Reply with quote  #6 
hi,

i dont know if you're starting a new groove, but that'll certainly slow you down. one thing you can try is sleeping with mendhi (the stuff for henna) on your fingertips. the mendhi dries out your skin which hardens the calluses. i havent tried, it but i got the information from Sri James Pomerantz, so its from a guy who knows his stuff!

all this talk of oil. for me it would be odd to use anything other than vegetable or nut oil. i use a beauty oil called JASON which is 5000IU (viscosity). its an amalgam of a bunch of different nut and vegatable oils and it works fantastic. it doesnt gunk up, it lasts a long time, its natural, smells pretty good, and its cheep. what more could you ask for in life?

hope this helps,

joshf
Jay M

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "joshfeinberg"
hi,

i dont know if you're starting a new groove, but that'll certainly slow you down. one thing you can try is sleeping with mendhi (the stuff for henna) on your fingertips. the mendhi dries out your skin which hardens the calluses. i havent tried, it but i got the information from Sri James Pomerantz, so its from a guy who knows his stuff!

all this talk of oil. for me it would be odd to use anything other than vegetable or nut oil. i use a beauty oil called JASON which is 5000IU (viscosity). its an amalgam of a bunch of different nut and vegatable oils and it works fantastic. it doesnt gunk up, it lasts a long time, its natural, smells pretty good, and its cheep. what more could you ask for in life?

hope this helps,

joshf
Hey Josh

Where did you find this beauty oil? Sounds like a good alternative.

Thanks
Jay

Drew

Reply with quote  #8 
maybe its the rust polish you used on the string? have you used it before and everything was ok? Sounds like it may be waxy and thats why its sticking? How come you are putting that paste stuff on a new string anyways?

did you start playing right after you washed your hands or they got wet? that will make your fingers soft and create the problem your talking about. If so, put your finger in front of a fan for a minute or so and the problem is gone.

as for oils, I think Im done with them. I wish I could remember who but, someone posted before that they use their forehead grease. Ever since I starting doing that myself I have found that it kicks every oils ass!
It doesnt get gunky, it doesnt smell, it wont make the squeek noise after a while like baby oil does and you have a free endless supply!

just whipe your forehead or side of your nose or behind your ear with your first 2 playing fingers, then whipe the top of the string from one end to the other and repeat. Then do the same thing for underneath the string (this will make your meends a bit better). Then do it one last time for your fingers and you are set.

The only downfall is that it doesnt last as long as oils do. But, instead of the oil running out and getting gunky and squeeky and then having to clean the string and re-oil.. you just have to whipe your fingers accross your forehead/side of nose/behind ear and you are ready. No extra cleaning is needed! And, you can do this even while you are playing without stoping (as long as you arent fretting any notes that is).

try it and see for yourself! It just wont work if you just had a shower cause all your grease will be gone. :wink:

Always have 1 eye open
povster

Reply with quote  #9 
just whipe your forehead or side of your nose or behind your ear with your first 2 playing fingers, then whipe the top of the string from one end to the other and repeat. Then do the same thing for underneath the string (this will make your meends a bit better). Then do it one last time for your fingers and you are set.

But I'm afraid it will smudge my makeup. ops:

Drew

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"

But I'm afraid it will smudge my makeup. ops:

Use Loreal... it wont smudge! :wink: you always crack me up povster I wonder if any of the players wear makeup on stage? I did think that Shahids cheeks looked a little too rosie for summer time :wink:

That just made me think though,,, I wonder how many times Ive done this and have whiped the string dirt onto my forehead to create some nice tire marks? People must think I dont shower! :wink: however, no one has ever said I had dirt on my face so maybe it hasnt happened. :?

wait, does whiped have 2 p's? whipped? one is for leather, the other is for cream. :? I wish these forums had spell check cause I sure as hell didnt pay attention in english class.

Always have 1 eye open
povster

Reply with quote  #11 
wait, does whiped have 2 p's? whipped? one is for leather, the other is for cream.

Well, to reveal the honest and probably humiliating truth, there is no "h" in wiped. How sad for you. May our tears be as pearls in your angelic crown.

Anonymous

Reply with quote  #12 
povster,

you're a riot! HA!

Jay, you can get JASON 5000IU beauty oil at Whole Foods for under $5.

And that whole forehead grease thing, interesting, but gross. no way for me!

joshf
sitarman

Reply with quote  #13 
Josh, I'm with you on that. Forehead oil is not just "oil". It is oil, dirt released from the pores, sweat.... I'll stick to a light vegetable or nut oil. As far as unlimited supply- 5 bucks at a health food store for a bottle will last years and years. We're not lubing an engine here, folks!
povster

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarman"
Josh, I'm with you on that. Forehead oil is not just "oil". It is oil, dirt released from the pores, sweat.... I'll stick to a light vegetable or nut oil. As far as unlimited supply- 5 bucks at a health food store for a bottle will last years and years. We're not lubing an engine here, folks!
And sweat DOES contain salt. Which is not so pleasant if you are a string.
hmmm...nut oil? Is Josh F bottling himself now? :wink:

Anonymous

Reply with quote  #15 
hi,

not to get too technical or wierd here but little known fact- sweat containts 2 out of 3 elements that are in urine; amonia and urea. that in addition to salt and you got some pretty nasty stuff.

joshf
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.