INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
katyrow

Reply with quote  #1 
Interested in everyone's view on the maker and age of this sitar. I'm being told that it is a Hiren Roy, but the badge is missing and I'm wondering about the nail holes being that close together. Educated guesses on who made it? Thanks.

Attached Images
jpeg S2.jpg (25.97 KB, 5 views)
jpeg S3.jpg (27.36 KB, 4 views)
jpeg S5.jpg (27.47 KB, 4 views)

katyrow

Reply with quote  #2 
Two more photos attached.

Attached Images
jpeg S1.jpg (30.10 KB, 3 views)
jpeg S4.jpg (29.51 KB, 4 views)

DaveP

Reply with quote  #3 
Pretty sure that's a Hemen. That would account for the nail holes close together as many of their older sitars had the same small oval label that was used on their sarods. Carving and finish also look typically Hemen.
katyrow

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks! Much appreciated. Any opinion on age and/or value assuming the neck is straight, structure is OK, and it gets set up properly? Looks to be in nice cosmetic shape.
DaveP

Reply with quote  #5 
I have a fairly similar Hemen that I bought second hand in Varanasi in 1975. It was very old then as the scars from the fret thread knots were black with age and I had to have all the frets replaced. Yours looks a similar vintage so could possibly be around 1960-1970 but that's a guess.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Agree with Dave P that it's a Hemen. The centered nail holes strongly suggest the typical Hemen oval badge. Naskar and Makhan Lal Roy nail holes would have been about 1/8" closer to the pegs on the centerline. The smooth rounded carving also has that Hemen aura about it. Lovely by the way ! Age - hard to say but I would think somewhere around mid 60's. Don't know when the red script on cream plastic badges began. This one pre dates that era. Love these vintage instruments !

Reply with quote  #7 
Interesting that the nut slot for the first string is backwards ! Hmmmmm ! ! !
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.