INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Chandrasiri

Reply with quote  #1 
I am learning Tabla just to be able to play for songs. I have no any intension to become a professional tabla player. My attempt is to leanrn tabla as a past time. Can anyone tell me to what levels I sohould persue my learnig and what are essential things one should know in order to accompany with a singer. :roll:
Terry1234

Reply with quote  #2 
Teen Taal
Kehrwa Taal
Dadra Taal
Rupak Taal
SitarKhani

Those are the taals I use to play most songs. You also need to know certain Kaidas to help you play those taals better.
You'll also need to learn Relas and Laggis.
deep

Reply with quote  #3 
Jhaptaal & Bhajani are also widely used.
Olemunati

Reply with quote  #4 
If you are going to play to songs, you would benefit of consentrate on getting a good sound, and some independence between daya and baya. Be able to have control of the baya would be something to work on. It doesn.t matter if you can play in six different taals and all the relas in the world, if your sound is not good.

If you are a beginner you should strictly play NA only for a couple of months, 1-4 hours a day for a couple of months.

Reply with quote  #5 
I guess the best question to start with is what type of song are you interested in accompanying?

There are so many genres - each with its own flavor of tabla playing:

Ghazal
Bhajan
Thumri
Classical
Filmi
Pop

I guess if you clarify, the forum would be able to help you out a little better.

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for all the important tips. I am interested in playing tabla for classical songs based on north indian Ragas. Specially if someone could post several kaidas and rellas under different taals that would be so helpful for me to practice.
mbsobat

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Terry1234"
Teen Taal
Kehrwa Taal
Dadra Taal
Rupak Taal
SitarKhani

Those are the taals I use to play most songs. You also need to know certain Kaidas to help you play those taals better.
You'll also need to learn Relas and Laggis.
You forgot Mogoli
It is 7 beats, starts with Khali, just like Rupak but it is like:

Tin - Na Dhin Dhin NaKe TeTe

very common used in Afghanistan, Ghazals etc.
Shawn

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi everyone,

I honestly think that no matter what you intend to do with tabla, whether it's to play solo tabla, accompany classical music, light music, songs, dance, or fusion music, you would be best advised to learn classical tabla playing properly. With this, you will acquire the necessary technique, repertoire, and improvisation skills. If you just try to learn theka, you won't have the technique to have a good tone, nor the improvisation skills needed for embellishment of the theka. Once you have a strong foundation, then you can go and play whatever kind of music you like. Of course, it's also important to attend as many concerts as possible, and to listen to as many recordings as you can get your hands on.

Regards,
Shawn

http://www.facebook.com/tablamontreal
mbsobat

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Shawn"
Hi everyone,

I honestly think that no matter what you intend to do with tabla, whether it's to play solo tabla, accompany classical music, light music, songs, dance, or fusion music, you would be best advised to learn classical tabla playing properly. With this, you will acquire the necessary technique, repertoire, and improvisation skills. If you just try to learn theka, you won't have the technique to have a good tone, nor the improvisation skills needed for embellishment of the theka. Once you have a strong foundation, then you can go and play whatever kind of music you like. Of course, it's also important to attend as many concerts as possible, and to listen to as many recordings as you can get your hands on.

Regards,
Shawn
!
Terry1234

Reply with quote  #10 
I agree with Shawn said. I didn't know I left out so many Thekas in my first post ops:
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chandrasiri"
Thanks for all the important tips. I am interested in playing tabla for classical songs based on north indian Ragas. Specially if someone could post several kaidas and rellas under different taals that would be so helpful for me to practice.
I think you should probably get a teacher. Or if you have a good grounding in the basics. Try this book. It has a TON of great compositions in it. This is my tabla bible:

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Tabla-Repertory-Compositions-Classical/dp/8121510422

Also, get a good grounding in teental. Dont worry about the other taals at this point. Once you understand teental and can play in it - you can take any teental kaida and readjust it to fit any taal.

Reply with quote  #12 
I think the advices form the rest of the forum can perhaps be a bit confusing. A lot of the advices sounds more like advices these distuingished forum members would give themselves when they started out. And the goals for these forum-members would be to become tabla masters. Or at least a lot more amitious than just "playing a long to songs".

However, if one only wants to develop a little bit of skill to play along to songs, that is, not even actually playing songs, but just have some nice fun with playing along to songs, I think it would be a waste of time studying classical material in the classiacal way. Besides studying classical tabla cannot be done through books or internet at all, because there is no such thing in classical tabla. Teacher is the way to go there.

But is there no middle way one can learn a little bit of tabla, without investing a lot of time and practice? Does it allways have to be the "right way"?

Maybe we can discuss this?

Allthough I say the advices are confusing, not necesarilly means that I disagree. I think studying tabla in the classical way would surely be the best way to learn how to play along to songs, or just play some tabla in your living room at evenings for relaxing. No consert or performing in mind. But it could be to shooting birds with a cannon if you know what I mean...

Since I been playing a lot to songs (my own), I definetively see the disadvantage of spending time on a learning a theka or anything at all, before you master a good a na sound, a relaxed sitting position, good tite playing dheredhere and all that stuff. They say the first 10 years should be spent on technique anyways, so why don't spend at least a year or six months on bol technique before going: dhadhindhindha|dhadhindhindha|dhatintinna|nadhindhindha|

Reply with quote  #13 
Chandrasiri ji,

Are you able to find a teacher? That would really be beneficial for you.
Scale

Reply with quote  #14 
Namaste to all., im agree with Shenji, : i study tabla in classical training since ten years, and just now i begin to play well in different style out indian classical contest, like drum and bass, funky, reggae and pop etc
in my opinion , after a strong and long training in your own istrument, we can concentrate to song (western or wathever), groove , dynamic,feel and speed required by any kind of music.
Blessing to all
F.
Olemunati

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Scale"
Namaste to all., im agree with Shenji, : i study tabla in classical training since ten years, and just now i begin to play well in different style out indian classical contest, like drum and bass, funky, reggae and pop etc
in my opinion , after a strong and long training in your own istrument, we can concentrate to song (western or wathever), groove , dynamic,feel and speed required by any kind of music.
Blessing to all
F.
That was my point in the post too. Maybe not everyone which to spend 10 years of training before being able to play to songs...

I think in calssical training also, there was focus on teentaal -and teentaal only- untill that could be played fluent and good. That's why I think the advice to a beginner should be learn teentaal. However there seem to be other advices too, and that's just great!

Learning technique and coordination through that teentaal, and wait for at least two year or so with other taals.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.