INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
luvdasitar

Reply with quote  #1 
Ok, here is a game I like to play. I ask my wife to play any random sitar piece and I try to guess who thee artist is (sounds kiddish...but what the heck). So here's my question - are there any two artists that you guys have diffculty differentiating ?
I find Rais Khan and UVK very difficult!!!
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #2 
First you need a spouse that actually enjoys playing this game!!

My compliments!

Reply with quote  #3 
SERIOUSLY!!!!

Reply with quote  #4 
Why would one be with that did not love the sitar? Of course, from the little I know, ihave heard PadmaVibhushan Nikhil Bannerjee's wife was a real headache and he use to go the "guest" house and practice. As for the game I love it. I play it with any of my friends that are girls (less with guys, but a particular guy friend we do play it - he loves the music). Anyway my humble two cents (I am sorry to everyone on this forum for my behavior before, especially Josh-Bhai) I believe the way to tell V.K. from R.K. is that R.K uses a guage #4 string, uses ABSOLUTELY no reverb (to the point of it being almost too dry at times, i.e. - listen to Sultan Khan Rais Jugal-Bhandhi's - beautiful but... it is just amazing how R.K. pull SO MUCH SUSTAIN from such a "dry" sound... but he IS a MASTER. As far as PadmaVibushan (I know I know he did not accept it- but he is to me: ) Ustaad Vilayat Khan is concerned, becasue of the #3 string the sound is a "little bit" "sweeter" ... if that makes any sense. Listen, I ask my guitarist, so what do you prefer my Hiren Roys or Rikhi Ram (the only two brands that have seemed to work for me so far)... Well he prefers the Hiren Roy type of sound, and I actually like my R.R. Teak better (lot of personal reasons). What is the strangest is that the Hienr Roy sounds amazing with the #4 string that I play on, but the Rikhi Ram sounded decent at best (it is Teak) with a#4 (the #3 was working better). Then I found a neat trick if you will. I put my Teak Sitar nest to my stereo speakers (literally one on each horizontal side of the sitar - make sure the gourd is being "hit" by sound) with Pink Floyd on Repeat blasted every time I left the house for about a month or two (I did not play the sitar during this whole time). When I did... Dear Universe ("uni" = one "verse" = song) it BECAME SO wonderful sounding. Just a tip. Take it with a grain of salt.

Love
Anand
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #5 
By the way ANY music will do. It is just the vibrations that "opens" the sitar obviously
raga.puriya

Reply with quote  #6 
What do you mean by "GUEST HOUSE" ?
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #7 
That was bit tongue in cheek; but from what my friend Habib Uncle tells me (and Tej Kumar Sharma of the Ahmedabad store (Sharma Musical house - different Sharma - he is friends with my mother and learned sitar from a man in Ahmedabad named Alaap-ji who is a disciple of Nikhil-Baba) Pandit N.B.'s wife did not like his "playing" and thought it was a waste of time... So he had to find clever places to practice. In fact, now this I think is more legend but who knows, they say he died from her stress and too many sweets being offered to him wherever he went : ) I wish his wife had just seen what true beauty lay before him. It is interesting in reminds of the inside of the In Celebratoion Ravi CD when the author says of Ravi's 16 hour day practices for 7 years, "It was the private struggle leading up the very public one". Everyone struggle privately with Grace this year.

With Love
Anand
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #8 
"Then I found a neat trick if you will. I put my Teak Sitar nest to my stereo speakers (literally one on each horizontal side of the sitar - make sure the gourd is being "hit" by sound) with Pink Floyd on Repeat blasted every time I left the house for about a month or two (I did not play the sitar during this whole time)"

.. and the neighbours didn't complain? :wink:
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #9 
No : ) Luckily I live in a home, also it does not have to be turned up that loud. Just loud enough to feel a vibration "hitting" the sitar neck and gourd.

Merry Christmas, Haunkika, and Holdays (phew it is hard being politically corrrect)
: ) : )
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #10 
I guess I did not mean blast the music. The stroke of the sitar is not as hard as rock and roll turned up so you CAN get away with using avery low volume. During the time i was doing this I used my other sitars and when I got bak to the Teak R.R. it seemed as if it had been played for years.

Love
Anand
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #11 
I guess I did not mean blast the music. The stroke of the sitar is not as hard as rock and roll turned up so you CAN get away with using avery low volume. During the time i was doing this I used my other sitars and when I got bak to the Teak R.R. it seemed as if it had been played for years.

Love
Anand
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.