Acelga

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi guys,
I play often with non-indian musicians in an acoustic band and it
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Acelga"

BTW, has anyone ever tried playing the bayan upside down? I'm serious actually, but depending on your bayan, the round heel at the bottom of the bayan can sometimes produce a very lovely if somewhat tin-like sound!
Can

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
va4leo

Reply with quote  #3 
You could get one of those hooked tabla shells and put a dholki head on it! My tabla teacher has one...the pitch is sooo high it doesn't really matter, however, it still does have a pitch (high A in the second video) and some people will be able to tell!

The bottom of my Baaya produce beautiful tones! it can be really nice when the speed of playing is really high!

Just one thing though, Why do you carry a D and G? The tabla in G can be played when the pitch is C or G....and the D when it is D or G....maybe carry two tabla's that are closer together C / D...D / E...F / G that way you can play for 4 different pitches ( C F / D G, D G / E A, and F Bflat / G C respectively). I personally carry 5 tablas with me at any point in time (just cause they all fit in the bag)...and a lot of the time...find myself needing the two tablas i left at home!!!! xD

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "va4leo"
I personally carry 5 tablas with me at any point in time (just cause they all fit in the bag)...and a lot of the time...find myself needing the two tablas i left at home!!!! xD
Now that's what I call devotion and attention to detail. But it must weight a ton to carry around!

Is the general idea that if the tuning is C=sa then your tabla should be either sa or pa, i.e. C or G? or ma also, i.e. F?

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi all,
yes Pascal I meant 90
va4leo

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
But it must weight a ton to carry around!
The bag weighs about 25 kg...but it has wheels...sooo its quite alright!
Quote:
Is the general idea that if the tuning is C=sa then your tabla should be either sa or pa, i.e. C or G? or ma also, i.e. F?
Yesh it is indeed... As far as I understand, you only use Ma with certain raagas... check out this link if you haven't already. I learnt quite a bit from it in the beginning...then studied tuning a tabla, for 5 years, in London and 2 days in Kolkata!! xD
Quote:
Do you mean the second video I posted or did you forget to post two videos?
I meant the second video you posted. The difference between a Dholki and a Dholak is the presence of Syiahi. The Dholki has a syiahi and therefore produces a slightly lower pitch...the dholak a reallly high pitch with no syiahi....as far as I understand!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.