INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
theactor10

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey Guys,

have finally gotten a sitar about 2 months ago, and have been learning without a teacher. Just wanted to share my progress. Want to thank this forum for teaching me so much.

Clip:

NOTE: 3 Month update added.. scroll down for link.
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #2 
The recording cuts off at 12 seconds for me.

Is anybody else having that problem?

David

Ok, nevermind. After a few more tries it finally played the whole thing
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
Off to a good start even without a teacher. Glad to hear the absense of the too often heard "Western Shimmy". Whew ! ! ! A suggestion to help along would be to get the mizrab over a bit more when nailing the chikari strings. Not hearing the dominant bite of the highest string. Keep us posted on your progress. You show potential.

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Off to a good start even without a teacher. Glad to hear the absense of the too often heard "Western Shimmy". Whew ! ! ! A suggestion to help along would be to get the mizrab over a bit more when nailing the chikari strings. Not hearing the dominant bite of the highest string. Keep us posted on your progress. You show potential.
Thanks so much! Will work on my chikari striking
Kirya

Reply with quote  #5 
Sounds pretty good for 2 months -- what kind of a sitar are you playing?

I would recommend doing the alankar exercises at the back of Ravi Shankar's book or on the Chapter 10 Indrajit Banerjee DVD as you seem to have a talent that will build rapidly with the basic skills you get from doing these exercises

There is some good advice in the discussion titled: Sitar study/lessons/theory Book

theactor10

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kirya"
Sounds pretty good for 2 months -- what kind of a sitar are you playing?

I would recommend doing the alankar exercises at the back of Ravi Shankar's book or on the Chapter 10 Indrajit Banerjee DVD as you seem to have a talent that will build rapidly with the basic skills you get from doing these exercises

There is some good advice in the discussion titled: Sitar study/lessons/theory Book
Great thanks for the recommendations. Will definitely check all that out.

And the sitar is a Rikhi Ram Grand Pro Tun custom-made to Ravi Shankar specs, though it is strung in Vilayat Khan style.
theactor10

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey guys!

So now I've been playing for 3 months. Still no teacher. Recorded a little sound clip. Take a listen.

Apologies for the slight distortion... had the input too high when recording because i wanted to capture the subtleties. So make sure you adjust your computer volume accordingly when you listen

Here's the clip:

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #8 
Sounds great, especially given the amount of time with the instrument! Love Piloo, though I listen to it much less often these days it seems.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.