INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarjunky

Reply with quote  #1 
In my quest for GOOD sitar strings which arent as expensive as pyramid and come in a coil, Ive heard about strings which are originally designed for piano.

They are made by a company called... cheff... chauf... schouf... shef... ?

anyway they are supposed to be very good and not very costly.

have you guys ever heard of this ?

Reply with quote  #2 
Yes the company is Schaff they are a piano wire supplier that provides Roslau (german made string ) in the U.S. Roslau is the same company I think that pyramid uses though the Pyramid is a different compound . I actually prefer the schaff but every one has an opinion on this.At any rate it is very good wire and it is used by many of the top pros.

-Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
sitarjunky

Reply with quote  #3 
hey Kalyan that sounds cool,
you know where I can order the schaff strings ? - my googling session on this only gave me piano related results. and didnt see this brand appear on any of the indian instrument webstores I know.

- sitarchunky

Reply with quote  #4 
I have orderd them in the past from a piano store- you just need to know the guages, which are in nos. rather than thousandths of an inch like western fretted instruments. For instance no. 3 is a .012. A coil of the stuff will last many years unless you change strings often. I have used the pyramid sets more recently and I found I liked them slightly better than the Rosleau - maybe I'm just imagining? But it sure is a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run to go with the coils. If the exact same string used by pyramid is available in coils, that would be the perfect combination. One thing about coils, again if you are going to have years worth- you will want to keep them pretty protected from air and humidity since they will tarnish (mainly the brass).
sitarjunky

Reply with quote  #5 
just to see if I got it right - if I want schaff strings I should be looking for rosleau strings? :?
and if so would you say $14per coil of 130 Ft. is reasonable price ?

thanks from confused sitarchunky.

Reply with quote  #6 
Nope . . . Schaff is a distributor of Roslau. However, Schaff only sells to businesses. To get Roslau you wlll need to purchase them from a dealer.
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Everyone,

I just noticed that I'm almost out of copper Sa strings. Does anyone know the gauge number of these and whether they're also available on coils?

Thanks,
Rex
sitarman

Reply with quote  #8 
Yes,
I have bought coils of the brass strings. For sa you want .016 or #6 gauge.
Drew

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarjunky"
In my quest for GOOD sitar strings which arent as expensive as pyramid and come in a coil, Ive heard about strings which are originally designed for piano.

They are made by a company called... cheff... chauf... schouf... shef... ?

anyway they are supposed to be very good and not very costly.

have you guys ever heard of this ?

order from these guys. Most people on this site do.

http://www.fortepiano.com/index.htm

If you are going to replace all of your chikari and sympathetic strings... get the large coil of the .9's cause the small coil will be a little short. I know this cause I just tried this last week and was 2 symp strings short. Thank god I had a few spares.

Always have 1 eye open
kalyan

Reply with quote  #10 
We also sell the coils at http://www.aacm.org the price is $15 for a 1/4 pound coil I am not sure what the length is but I think it is more like 500ft.
also we sell bulk phospher bronze wire $25 for 1/4 lb.

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
sitarjunky

Reply with quote  #11 
greaaaaat

thanks to all.

I like this forum. good forum. gooooooood.

Reply with quote  #12 
Dhrupad, Veena and Surbahar Forums on Beenkar Site:

Avatars are enabled with 90*90 pix images . Users may upload their images now.

http://www.beenkar.com/phpbb2/index.php

regards,

Beenkar

AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #13 
I use this retailor for my strings. One stop shopping and fast delivery, 2 days on the West coast. http://www.fortepiano.com/wire_files/musicpiano.htm
The website has conversion charts for wire gauges and lists the metal composition, weight and length of the coils and spools. My last order provided 3 sets plus of Rudra Veena strings for $48. with lots left over for my sitar and tamboura. In the US all the wire comes from a couple of manufacturers and is sold only to retailors. My veen needed a unwound 1mm plus kharaj string Lutz recommended a red rose brass Harp wire and it sounds great. I believe AACM sells the same type wire at very good prices also.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.