INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sraman

Reply with quote  #1 
Please watch in the You tube, an excellent sitarist. Programme Espacio Ronda, playing raga Jai Jayanthi and others
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Helluva nice guy, too ! ! !

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, he is an excellent sitarist and a really nice guy.
He was a disciple of Pandit Ravi Shankar, and has also studied with Rajeev Taranath, Amiya Dasgupta, and Partha Chatterjee.

He is a excellent teacher too.
He is my teacher.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #4 
Helluva nice guy, yah sure, you betcha!

I'm listening to one of his latest cd's, "Sadhana", as I speak. Wonderful sitar cd in it's own right, but excellent to sleep by, as well.

I always look forward to hearing his music.

And cw, you are lucky to have him as your teacher!! :wink:

And one would do well to amble up to Paul's web page, if only to see his wonderful tribute to Pt.Shankar, It has some really nice, warm features which everyone should enjoy.

Reply with quote  #5 
He and Pandit Homnath, his usual tabla maestro, are coming to perform here next month, there was rumor that I may be able to do a jugalbandhi with them. SUPER EXCITING! 8)

Reply with quote  #6 
I hope you do get to play with them.
That would be very cool.

Hom Nath Upadhyaya is awesome.
A very very nice man, and an incredible Tabla master.
I got to hang out with him when he came to LA to start the "Sadhana" tour with Paul.
I got to create all the artwork for the "Sadhana" CD and all the Tour posters etc.
It was really fun.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cwroyds"
I hope you do get to play with them.
That would be very cool.

Hom Nath Upadhyaya is awesome.
A very very nice man, and an incredible Tabla master.
I got to hang out with him when he came to LA to start the "Sadhana" tour with Paul.
I got to create all the artwork for the "Sadhana" CD and all the Tour posters etc.
It was really fun.
Let me second that notion! I met Homnathji many years ago. Allow to briefly quote a tabla forum post in response to someone inquiring about the possibilities of learning tabla under him:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pascal"
Homnathji stayed at my home for about a week several years ago and along the way taught my otherwise unteachable friend not on tabla but on santoor how to play rag Bhoopali! In spite of my friend's complete lack of discipline and problems with staying focused, with patience and compassion Homnathji still managed to teach him enough of this rag that he actually went on to continue practicing it for many months afterwards (but predictably he lost interest in the santoor ... that's another story ... I hope he doesn't read this forum!).

I first met Homnathji almost 14 years ago when I helped bring him to the University of Colorado at Boulder. He stayed there for over a month (along with his wife, a kathak dancer, and his son, Pramod, a terrific tabla player himself and now a popular singer in Nepal). One of his tabla students who lived in Boulder actually traveled to Nepal and stayed there for quite some time in part so that he could continue his tabla studies with Homnathji!
... Apart from his teaching skills, there's also something about the man, a certain quality that simply makes him ... for lack of a fancier word ... a very nice human being (if you meet/speak with others who know him I'm willing to bet this is the first thing they will say of him!).
http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11690#p71347

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.