INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
desh

Reply with quote  #1 
[attachment=0]sri-partha-3.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]sri-partha-2.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Images
jpeg sri-partha-2.jpg (73.87 KB, 1 views)
jpeg sri-partha-3.jpg (84.79 KB, 1 views)

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
All good stuff...
I watched & recorded the Pandit's concert in the Kali Temple in Varanasi on this year's trip & we talked about his style with me mentioning I heard more than a little of Nikhil Banerjee-Da & U Shahid Parvez in the performance playing. But none really of his guru-ji, Pt Ravi Shankar.
It seems there's some kind of general or mixed style going around that caters for most tastes. Anyone feel this is true??

Maybe he played a little differently from other times, it WAS a great concert though.

Nick
desh

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
I heard more than a little of Nikhil Banerjee-Da & U Shahid Parvez in the performance playing. But none really of his guru-ji, Pt Ravi Shankar.
Partha's guru was Pandit Manoj Shankar not Pandit Ravi Shankar (PRS). Perhaps that's why he doesn't really sound like PRS. According to his website:

...Partha was initiated to the Sitar at the age of six and thereafter underwent intensive training in the tradition of Guru-Shishya parampara under the tutelage of Pandit Monoj Shankar...

I do agree; his style seems to draw on multiple influences. I have seen him many times in Toronto and he always puts on a great show.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.