INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
panchamkauns

Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone heard this beenkar? I must say I had never heard of him until I read about him in a book last night. He has a web site

http://pandharinathkolhapure.com/

but seemingly no recordings available ...

Reply with quote  #2 
That is so strange. Just last night I stumbled upon his name as well and looked him up as well, finding the same web site. I printed out PDF files of his web pages for reference. (can't depend on a web site being up forever.) But same as you, no luck with any recordings.
SonaKolivisa

Reply with quote  #3 
so interesting... i was just having a conversation about him with my teacher a few hours ago...

Anyways, Pandharinath Kolhapure is based in Mumbai I believe. I actually saw him perform while I was in India in 2007. He is a vocalist primarily and he gave a vocal concert along with some other musicians at a place called Gayan Samaj Deval club in Kolhapur. It was a concert remembering his father, who was a great beenkar Krishnarao Kolhapure. I think he also learned from Kumar Gandharva. The concert opened with Hindraj Divekar - whom I was learning from at the time - giving a been recital of Puriya Dhanashri including a composition with a tabla player! Yes, you read it right! In Maharashtra there is a tradition of Khyal baaj rudra veena! Then a very good upcoming female vocalist, Asavari Karambelkar sang, and to finish the evening, Pandharinath Kolhapure gave a vocal recital. HE WAS GREAT! A true Pandit for sure. I remember him singing a series of Malhar raags (it was monsoon season) and demonstrating the different variants (miyan ki, surdasi, ramdasi, etc)

Pandharinath Kolhapure was one of Divekar's gurus and was also teaching the been to Asavari... I'm hoping she sticks with it!

To the best of my knowledge, Kolhapure doesn't play the been in concerts anymore. He's known more as a vocalist.

Don't know of any recordings.
panchamkauns

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for that reply!

Is there a tradition of khyal ang rudraveena in Maharashtra?

Reply with quote  #5 
Khyal ang on veena began mainly with Bande Ali Khan, who had a great fondness for khyal. He thus began to adapt it for the veena and the tradition is still going on today. Hindraj Divekar, Bindumadhav Pathak, Jyothi Hegde, and a number of other beenkars play khyal and dhrupad ang.
sahkul

Reply with quote  #6 
Khayal ang rudra veena playing is existant in northern Karnataka. Bindu madhav Pathak was the torch bearer in that. His son Shrikant Pathak is also good. So are Jyoti Hegde and R V Hegde. Bindu Madhavji brought the Kirana style to Been playing.
tejaswini

Reply with quote  #7 
the website http://www.pandharinathkolhapure.com will be functioning all the time.we will be putting up few videos soon and audio is gng to be available very soon.
tejaswini

Reply with quote  #8 
if you have any questions Panditji will be glad to answer ...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.